The Benefits Advisory Committee would like to share with you information about our decision to recommend switching from our current group health insurance provider, Florida Blue, to United Health Care, effective Jan. 1, 2016.
After significant time and attention to University benefits this summer, the Benefits Advisory Committee can report the following:
After a 0% increase in health care rates last year, Florida Blue presented a 27% initial increase in May due to a significant increase in large claims.
- Guided by the University’s health care consultant, the Benefits Advisory Committee (BAC) worked diligently to look at alternatives to provide quality health insurance with similar plan design
- Committee met seven times since April
- Secured bids from another highly rated health insurance provider, United Health Care.
- The BAC recommended moving to United Health Care given a much lower overall average increase of 10.1% increase (HMO rates were higher and PPO rates lower)
- HMO rates capped at a 10.1% increase due to a subsidy provided by the University.
- PPO rates have decreased by approximately 13%.
- United Health Care uses 98.4% of the top providers used by Stetson members as Florida Blue. The link to the provider list will be available on the Human Resources website in October.
- The University will continue to provide a premium subsidy so that no employee pays more than 7.2% of their Stetson salary, based on the HMO single rate.
- Human Resources will work with United Health Care to provide information starting in September in anticipation of the annual open enrollment period for benefits which begins October 1, 2015.
- BAC will continue to study plan consolidation and self-insurance over the course of the next year.
- In regard to Life Insurance, the 1X salary cap of $50,000 will be increased to $250,000 effective October 1, 2015, at no cost to employees.
As members of the Benefits Advisory Committee, we understand that change can be difficult and kept that front and center as we developed our recommendation. Please feel free to contact us or Human Resources if you have any questions.
Benefits Advisory Committee:
T. Wayne Bailey, Ph.D., Professor of Political Science
Patrick Coggins, Ph.D., Professor of Education
Jason R. Bent, Associate Professor of Law
Paul Steeves, Ph.D., Professor of History/Russian Studies – Retiree Representative
Jeffrey Altier, University Director of Athletics
Drew Macan, University AVP of Human Resources
Patty Johnson, College of Law – AVP of Budget and Finance
Melissa Peters, University AVP for Budget
Pam Skoularakos, College of Law – Director of Human Resources
Betty Whiteman, University – Director of Human Resources
Catherine B. Martin, College of Law – Director of Career Development
Christopher Chellberg, University Assistant Director of Total Rewards
Mary Bernard, Administrative Support I, History Department
University liaison: Bob Huth, Executive Vice President and CFO