Former Chemistry Professor Edwin Coolidge dies
Dr. Edwin Channing Coolidge, former chemistry professor at Stetson University (1961-95), passed away Aug. 15. Ed was born Jan. 30, 1925 in Gambier, Ohio. His services were held Friday, Aug. 22, at 10 a.m. at St. Barnabas Episcopal Church.
He is survived by his loving wife Bonita (Bonnie) Warner Coolidge, loyal and devoted son, Edwin Channing Coolidge, Jr., and daughter-in-law, Jennifer McInnes Coolidge of DeLand and sister, Cynthia Coolidge Patrick of Palo Alto, California. His brother, Charles Walter preceded him in death in 1996., to Dr. Walter H. and Helen Fay Coolidge.
He graduated from Western Reserve Academy, Hudson, Ohio (1941), Kenyon College, Gambier, Ohio (A.B.1944), and The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland (Ph.D. Chemistry 1949). After experience as a research chemist with Procter and Gamble Corporation and service in the U.S. Army Chemical Corps (Dugway Proving Ground, Utah 1950-1953), Ed became a chemistry educator, teaching at Hamilton College, Clinton, New York (1954-58), New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology, Socorro, New Mexico (1958-61), and Stetson University (1961-95).
During his tenure at Stetson he was active in many university committees, including long term service on the Faculty Senate (four terms as Chair), Director of Faculty Advisor for the Year Abroad Program in Freiburg, Germany, and returned to Freiburg in (1982-83) as Fullbright Lecturer in Chemistry at the Paedagogische Hochschule. He was a member of Phi Beta Kappa and Sigma Xi honorary societies.
For several years Ed played viola in the Stetson Symphony Orchestra. In 1995 Ed retired to his longtime home “El Stucco” in DeLand to enjoy his devoted family and his hobbies, which over the years had included skiing, tennis, sailing, gardening, bridge, travel, and an abiding love of classical music, particularly German lieder and chamber music. He was a member of St. Barnabas Episcopal Church.
In lieu of flowers, a remembrance should be made to; Stetson University, (for the Chemistry Department in memory of Dr. Coolidge) , 421 N. Woodland, Blvd, Unit 8286 attn. Kate Pearce, DeLand, FL 32723.