Digital Arts (sound specialty) faculty candidate guest lecture

The Creative Arts Department and Digital Arts Program invites all Stetson faculty and students to the professional demonstration/talk of the final candidate for our new Assistant Professor of Digital Arts (Sound Specialty) faculty position. The talk will be held in the Hand Art Center seminar room during DIGA 499.  Class starts at 8:30 for the enrolled students, but the talk will run from 9:00-9:45 a.m., Thursday, March 13.

The talk is open to all interested Stetson faculty and students – but if you are interested in attending, please RSVP to Laura Glander (lglander@stetson.edu) so that we can make sure we have adequate seating set up.

JEFF KAISER, Ph.D.

About

Title:  Music and the Artist/Scholar Model: One Possibility in Practice

This talk presents an overview of my creative and scholarly work. Specifically, I discuss: my scholarly projects, including “Improvising Technology,” an ethnographic examination of contemporary musicians using new and repurposed technologies; my work as a producer, engineer and owner of an experimental music label; and my work combining performance and composition with emergent digital practices in music. In the artist/scholar model, each domain has the potential to enrich the other, providing frameworks that encourage innovation and multiple ways of knowing, examining, creating and producing music. I will conclude the talk with a short demonstration/performance of my recent explorations with trumpet and software.