"Molecular biology is essentially the practice of biochemistry witout a license." - Erwin Chargaff
Molecular biology is an interdisciplinary science that uses the techniques of biology and chemistry to examine experimental systems at the molecular level. If you are interested in the interface between the life sciences and physical sciences, then a major in molecular biology at Stetson University is for you.
- Bachelor of Science
Our curriculum will prepare you to be a molecular biologist by engaging in inquiry-based and student-driven courses and authentic lab experiences. As a student enrolled in molecular biology and genetics, you will receive a unique, intensive lab experience leading to improved technical proficiency that has aided recent graduates to obtain competitive admission into post-graduate programs and secure jobs in health-related fields.
With a major in molecular biology, you will likely gain an interest in attending post-graduate programs since our curriculum incorporates many pre-requisites for medical school and graduate school.
The culmination of the program includes a three-course series research capstone project where you propose a research question, perform experiments and analyze acquired data and disseminate research findings in an oral and poster presentation.
View our course requirements to see what we offer.More Info
Visit to see our beautiful campus for yourself.More Info
Student-Faculty Collaborative Research
After completing the project, you will present your research at our daylong symposium, Stetson Showcase. You may also have the opportunity to present your results at a regional scientific meeting like the Florida Undergraduate Research Conference. The relationships forged between students and mentors during this process are one of the most distinctive elements of the Stetson molecular biology program.
- Roslyn Crowder, Ph.D., University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Lynn Kee, Ph.D., University of Michigan
During the last 10 years, 48% of our graduates have gone on to graduate programs in the health professions and 27% have gone into masters or Ph.D. graduate programs.
Health Professions Graduate Programs
- Medical School - Einstein College, Ohio State University, Tulane University, University of Florida, Virginia Commonwealth University
- Dental School - New York University, University of Florida
- Podiatry School - Kent State University, Temple University
- Pharmacy - University of South Florida
- Ph.D. - Georgia Tech, Johns Hopkins University, University of Chicago, University of Colorado, University of Florida, University of Illinois, University of Missouri
- Master's - Northwestern University, University of South Florida