The Department of Counselor Education offers masters-level degrees in clinical mental health counseling, marriage, couple and family counseling and school counseling. Students in the program learn to behave ethically and become aware of their personal strengths and resiliency, in pursuit of their preparation to accept and demonstrate their professional counseling responsibilities with distinction. Students learn to behave ethically and how to apply the skills and self-knowledge they learn to a culturally diverse clientele.
A Distinctive Program
Stetson University's counselor education programs are accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education.
The program has five objectives:
- an ethically informed professional identity
- an awareness of personal strengths and resiliency
- an appreciation of diverse cultures
- critical thinking and creative expression
- efficacious commitment to professional and community service.
Degrees and Programs
- Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Marriage, Couple and Family Counseling
- School Counseling
- Play Therapy Certificate Program
Academics and Research
Facilities and Opportunities
The program is offered at the DeLand campus as well as the Center at Celebration.
Certification, Endorsement, Licensure
The program accepts post-baccalaureate students for the purposes of satisfying certification or licensure. If a student holds a Council for the Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs-accredited masters degree in any area, an endorsement for another specialty may be received by completing an endorsement-only program.
Students may enroll in six hours of introductory coursework prior to admission into the graduate program.
Awards and Recognition
- Judith Burnett, Ph.D., University of Massachusetts - Amherst
- Jesse Fox, Ph.D., University of Central Florida
- Leila Roach, Ph.D., University of Central Florida
- Page Thanasiu, Ph.D., University of Central Florida
- Lamerial McRae, Ph.D., University of Central Florida
- Brittani Munchel, Ph.D., University of South Florida
Courses and Curriculum
View the Stetson University Course Catalog for more information on the curriculum and courses for this academic program.
Beyond the Classroom
Internships are encouraged in public or private community agencies, elementary, middle or high schools, community or junior colleges, universities, not-for-profit businesses or public and privately funded service programs.
Graduates will have a variety of careers to choose from, including public and private agencies, treatment settings and independent private settings.