"It's a wild dance floor there at the molecular level." - Roald Hoffmann (winner - 1981 Nobel Prize in Chemistry)
Chemistry examines the structure and behavior of matter at the atomic and molecular level. There is both a subtlety and a cleverness to the art. Its practical applications are many, from medicine to plastics and from our planet's atmosphere to alternative forms of energy production.
- Bachelor of Science
- Major, Minor
Stetson's chemistry program offers a comprehensive instructional program supported by modern laboratory instrumentation with an emphasis on small class size and close attention to the needs and interests of the individual student.
Our program has an outstanding record of placing students beyond Stetson, with students pursuing postgraduate study in a wide range of areas, including the physical, biological, and forensic sciences, business, law, as well as medical, dental, and pharmacy school. With a major in chemistry, you will also be well prepared to directly enter the workforce as government, environmental or industrial lab researchers.
View our course requirements to see what we offer.More Info
See for yourself what makes the program significant.More Info
Making a Difference
We are extremely proud of our graduates. Here are a few recent examples of co-authored published works from our alumni:
- Lacey Lux - Heat-treatment of metal-organic frameworks for green energy applications, Lux, Lacey and Williams, Kia and Ma, Shengqian; CrystEngComm (The Royal Society of Chemistry) 2015 17 (1), 10-22. DOI: 10.1039/C4CE01499E
- Mary Jane Simpson - Spatial Localization of Excitons and Charge Carriers in Hybrid Perovskite Thin Films, Mary Jane Simpson, Benjamin Doughty, Bin Yang, Kai Xiao, and Ying-Zhong Ma, The Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters 2015 6 (15), 3041-3047. DOI: 10.1021/acs.jpclett.5b01050
- Jacob B. Geri - A Proton-Switchable Bifunctional Ruthenium Complex That Catalyzes Nitrile Hydroboration, Jacob B. Geri and Nathaniel K. Szymczak, Journal of the American Chemical Society 2015 137 (40), 12808-12814. DOI: 10.1021/jacs.5b08406
- Jacob B. Geri - Testing the Push–Pull Hypothesis: Lewis Acid Augmented N2 Activation at Iron, Jacob B. Geri, James P. Shanahan, and Nathaniel K. Szymczak, Journal of the American Chemical Society 2017 139 (16), 5952-5956. DOI: 10.1021/jacs.7b01982
- Daniel T. Infield - Formulation of meningococcal capsular polysaccharide vaccine-loaded microparticles with robust innate immune recognition, Ruhi V. Ubale, Martin J. D'souza, Daniel T. Infield, Nael A. McCarty & Susu M. Zughaier (2013) Journal of Microencapsulation, 30 (1), 28-41. DOI: 10.3109/02652048.2012.692402
- Darash Desal - Rapid and Specific Drug Quality Testing Assay for Artemisinin and Its Derivatives Using a Luminescent Reaction and Novel Microfluidic Technology, Nga T. Ho, Darash Desai, Muhammad H. Zaman, The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (2015), 92 (6), 24 – 30. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4269/ajtmh.14-0392
- S.R. Burket - Determination of nicotine and its metabolites accumulated in fish tissue using hydrophilic interaction liquid chromatography coupled with tandem mass spectrometry, Chang, Y.-W., Nguyen, H. P., Chang, M., Burket, S. R., Brooks, B. W. and Schug, K. A. (2015), Journal of Separation Science, 38: 2414–2422. DOI:10.1002/jssc.201500235
Over the last five years, 53 percent of our graduates have continued on to reputable graduate, medical, dental or other health science postgraduate Master’s and Doctoral programs, and 27 percent have entered directly into the workforce.
Our alumni teach in high schools, colleges and universities. Others work in environmental labs and for manufacturers of healthcare and consumer products. Recent alumni have matriculated in postgraduate programs at
- Notre Dame University
- Duke University
- Georgetown University
- Vanderbilt University
- Colorado State
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- University of Florida Pharmacy
- Johns Hopkins Medical School
- University of Wisconsin
- Stetson University College of Law
- Ohio State University
- University of California – San Francisco
- University of Michigan