International Environmental Moot Court Competition marks 25th year
This year marks the 25th anniversary of the Stetson International Environmental Moot Court Competition (IEMCC). The global, multi-part contest gives students around the world an opportunity to learn more about and advocate for environmental issues impacting the planet.
Teams compete in national and regional rounds throughout the world, and the top teams are invited to participate in the International Finals. This year initial rounds were hosted in Brazil, Colombia, India, Ireland, Mexico, the Philippines, the Republic of Korea, and the United States. The Finals are traditionally held on Stetson Law’s campus in Gulfport, Fla., but were moved online in 2020 because of the COVID-19 pandemic. The 25thcompetition also is being held virtually March 25-27, 2021.
Eighteen teams from 11 jurisdictions (Brazil, China, Colombia, India, Ireland, Mexico, the Philippines, Singapore, Slovenia, Taiwan, United States of America) are expected to compete. Students will prepare and present arguments on this year’s theme: Protection of Bats and International Trade Measures.
“While we had hoped to celebrate our 25th anniversary in person, we are thrilled that we can still bring together law students from all over the world to participate in our signature event,” said Professor Royal Gardner, director of Stetson’s Institute for Biodiversity Law and Policy. “We are inspired by their dedication and resiliency during these challenging times.”
Another traditional feature during the finals is a Foreman Biodiversity Lecture, part of a series of talks on environmental topics given by experts from around the world throughout the academic year. The lecture, which precedes the competition kickoff on March 25, features Dr. Rodrigo A. Medellín, “The Bat Man of Mexico.” His topic is “Bats and Emerging Infection Diseases: Myths, Realities, and Hope in Pandemic Times.” The lecture is at noon Eastern Daylight Time and is free and open to the public; register in advance here: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/5116322686497095947.
Below find the schedule for this week’s rounds. The final round and awards ceremony will be live and open to the public. Be sure to follow the IEMCC Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/StetsonIEMCC) page for updates, links and details!
2021 Final Round Competition Schedule
(All times are Eastern Daylight Time)
Thursday, March 25
- Check-in/orientation 11:00–11:45 a.m.
- Foreman Biodiversity Lecture 12:00–1:00 p.m.
- Preliminary Round 1 – Heat A 2:00–3:30 p.m.
- Preliminary Round 1 – Heat B 3:30–5:00 p.m.
- Preliminary Round 2 – Heat A 6:00–7:30 p.m.
- Preliminary Round 2 – Heat B 7:30–9:00 p.m.
Friday, March 26
- Preliminary Round 3 – Heat A 9:00–10:30 a.m.
- Preliminary Round 3 – Heat B 10:30 a.m.–12:00 p.m.
- Preliminary Round 4 – Heat A 2:00–3:30 p.m.
- Preliminary Round 4 – Heat B 3:30–5:00 p.m.
- Virtual Networking Session for Teams 5:00–6:00 p.m.
- Announcement of Teams Advancing to Quarterfinals 6:00 p.m.
Saturday, March 27
- Quarterfinals 9:00–10:30 a.m.
- Announcement of Teams Advancing to Semifinals 11:00 a.m.
- Semifinals 11:30 a.m.–1:00 p.m.
- Announcement of Teams Advancing to Championship 1:30 p.m.
- Championship Round 2:00–3:30 p.m. (open to the public and all teams)
- Awards Ceremony 3:30 p.m. (open to the public and all teams; should be done by 4:30 or 5:00 at the latest)
Previous IEMCC Winners
Post date: March 23, 2021