Stetson University’s biodiversity institute receives ABA environmental achievement award
Stetson University’s Institute for Biodiversity Law and Policy has received the American Bar Association’s 2016 Distinguished Achievement in Environmental Law and Policy Award.
“This award recognizes the contributions of the Stetson community and our partners in wetland, wildlife conservation, and environmental issues around the world,” said Professor Royal C. Gardner, director of Stetson’s Institute and an internationally recognized expert in wetland law and policy.
Every year, the ABA selects one organization to receive the Distinguished Achievement in Environmental Law and Policy Award. Professor Gardner accepted the award on behalf of the biodiversity institute at the ABA Annual Meeting in San Francisco on Aug. 7.
A special committee of the ABA’s Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources selected Stetson’s Institute based on its demonstrated leadership in improving the substance, process, and understanding of environmental issues.
The Institute’s upcoming programs include:
- On Aug. 26-28, the Institute will offer a special one-credit, three-day course on Sea Turtle Law and Policy for law and other graduate students pursuing degrees in marine science, environmental science, or environmental policy. The Sea Turtle Grants Program has provided a grant that funds scholarships for this course.
- In the fall, the Institute will continue its popular public Foreman Biodiversity Lecture Series with three presentations by conservation, legal and scientific experts.
- On Nov. 3, Stetson will collaborate with the Environmental Law Institute to sponsor the fourth annual ELI-Stetson Wetlands Workshop.
- In January of 2017, Stetson will co-sponsor the 17th International Wildlife Law Conference. The conference will be held in Pune, India, hosted by the Institute of Environment Education and Research, Bharati Vidyapeeth University.
- From March 30-April 1, 2017, Stetson will again host the international finals of the International Environmental Moot Court Competition, now in its 21st year.
To learn more about the Institute for Biodiversity Law and Policy at Stetson, visit: www.stetson.edu/law/biodiversity.
Post date: Aug. 8, 2016
Media contact: Brandi Palmer | email@example.com
727-562-7381 office | 727-430-1580 cell