Veterans Education Benefits
U.S. veterans are eligible to participate in the U.S. Department of Veterans' Affairs Educational Benefits Program. If you are or have been a member of the military, you or your dependents may qualify for financial assistance from your military branch or service-connected associations. Active duty members and retirees should contact their branch's payroll department for information about financial assistance and relief societies within their branches.
Jennifer L. Cobb - VA Certifying Official and Associate Director for Student Financial Planning
Stetson University participates in the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Educational Benefits Programs. The Office of Student Financial Planning coordinates enrollment verification with the Office of the Registrar and submits the appropriate forms. Current VA programs are as follows:
- Chapters 30, 31, 35, 1606
- Post-911 GI Bill® (Ch. 33)
- The Yellow Ribbon Program
We require that you complete both the Veterans Benefits Request Form and the VA Rights and Responsibilities Form every year. These forms should be submitted to Stetson University's Office of Student Financial Planning along with a certificate of eligibility (VA Form 22-0557) or award letter (VA Form 20-8993). Once we have received this form and you are registered for classes, we will notify the VA regional office of your enrollment.
First Time Benefits Recipients
Students applying for benefits for the first time must complete a VA Request for Benefits Form along with the forms specified above.
If You Transfer to Stetson University College of Law
Students who have received benefits at another institution and who are applying for benefits at Stetson University for the first time must complete a VA Change of Program/Place of Training Form.
Please note that any merit scholarship provided by Stetson University College of Law will be applied toward tuition and fees.
The following enrollment requirements apply to students seeking VA benefits:
- The courses taken must meet degree requirements.
- For full-time funding, graduate students must be enrolled for at least 10 credit hours per semester. The summer session pay rate is determined by the combination of credit hours and length of classes.
- If you decide to change your course load after your enrollment has been certified, you must notify the Office of Student Financial Planning immediately as the amount of your benefits may be affected.
- All recipients must maintain satisfactory academic progress as outlined in the Stetson University Catalog.
- If you plan to attend another college or university any term and use VA benefits, you must first receive approval from the Registrar’s office and then contact the VA Certifying official to prepare a guest student letter for you.
- It is the responsibility of those receiving benefits to inform their respective VA Certifying Official of any changes in their academic career immediately. Failure to do so may result in a temporary interruption of benefits.
- Veterans Law Institute
- Veterans Advocacy Clinic
- Yellow Ribbon Program – Participating University
- Student Veterans Organization
Helpful Links and Community Resources
- EBenefits - One-Stop Shop for online benefits information
- Educational and Vocational Counseling New GI Bill®: Information | Benefits Calculator
- Military Times
- Student Veterans Organization Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Service
- Veterans of Foreign Wars
- Veterans' Home Loan Program
- Veterans' Insurance
- Spouse Education and Career Opportunities
Searches for military friendly scholarships:
National Military Family Association
VA Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Office
800-827-1000, Ext. 7902
9500 Bay Pines Boulevard, St. Petersburg, FL 33731
Florida Department of Veterans' Affairs
11351 Ulmerton Road, Suite 311-K, Largo, FL 33778
MacDill Air Force Base
Base Operator 813-828-1110
- Location Finder: Veterans Health Administration Medical Centers
- Bay Pines VA Healthcare System - St. Petersburg
- James A. Haley Veterans' Hospital - Tampa
- Healthcare for Women Veterans (Bay Pines Health Care System)
VA Vet Centers
VA Vet Centers provide readjustment counseling and outreach services to all veterans who served in any combat zone. There are several Vet Center locations in the Tampa Bay area.