For Seminar and IRP Students–Scholarly Writing Series Programs
Happy New Year and welcome to the spring 2018 semester!
If you are taking a seminar or an independent research project class this spring to fulfill the upper-level writing requirement, you may be required to watch the Scholarly Writing Series programs, so please keep reading.
These programs are available, as web casts, on a Westlaw TWEN page entitled, “Stetson’s Scholarly Writing Series.” Each program is about 35 to 55 minutes long. The four programs that are offered in the series are
- Introduction to Scholarly Writing
- Topic Selection and Research
- Organization and Thesis Statements
- Proper Attribution
On the left-hand side of the TWEN page, you will see not only the links to the web casts, but also the handouts or power points that accompany the presentations.
The release of these programs will be staggered. All four videos (and accompanying handouts) will be available throughout the semester; however, the quizzes (that accompany the three “main” programs—numbers 2, 3, and 4 above) will be released during the time in which you should be at that specific point in the writing process. The schedule for the quizzes is below:
- Topic Selection and Research: The quiz will be released no later than Friday, January 19, at 8:00 a.m., and will close on Sunday, March 18, at 5:00 p.m.
- Organization and Thesis Statements: The quiz will be released on Friday, January 26, at 8:00 a.m., and will close on Sunday, April 8, at 5:00 p.m.
- Proper Attribution: The quiz will be released on Friday, February 16, at 8:00 a.m., and will close on Sunday, May 20, at 5:00 p.m.
The three quizzes, referenced above, will serve as the attendance for the web casts. Documentation of who has taken the quizzes will be forwarded to the professors teaching seminar courses or supervising independent research projects. Please record the dates that the quizzes will be available. Quizzes will not be re-opened after they close. And new this semester: In order to receive “credit” for the quiz, you must get at least two-thirds of the questions correct.
If you have any questions about the Scholarly Writing Series programs in general, please contact me (email@example.com). You will find additional information about the programs in the Scholarly Writing Series policy located on the Stetson webpage. If you have any questions concerning whether your professor requires the Scholarly Writing Series programs, please ask your professor.
Post date: January 3, 2018, in Faculty,