Commencement OverviewDownload Overview PDF
Tams, Gowns and Announcements
Students will receive notice from the Career Development Office that regalia has arrived and is available for pick-up. Announcements may be ordered from the Stetson Bookstore.
Please review the comprehensive list of activities recognized at graduation. Please review your activities on MyStetson by clicking the Law School Student Activity link on the My Academics tab. If you believe there are inaccuracies or missing activities, please contact the Office of Student Affairs. Please contact the Office of the Registrar if you notice any discrepancies or missing information regarding the other activities listed.
If you are receiving a Certificate of Concentration or Public Service Fellows Certificate, that information is not currently available in Banner.
The deadline to submit activities is April 1, 2020.
WebcastThe Honors & Awards Ceremony and the Commencement Ceremony will be webcast on the Internet. To view the ceremony, select the link on Stetson’s homepage on the day of the ceremony. For viewing instructions, refer to the webcast page.
The Graduation Brunch is Thursday, May 14, from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. at the Gulfport Casino, 5500 Shore Blvd. South, Gulfport. This event is open to graduates, faculty and invited special guests from campus. The event will include brunch and student recognitions. Dress is business casual for this event. Please submit your RSVP.
After submitting your RSVP, please bring your refundable $10 seat deposit to the Office of Student Affairs by Monday, May 4. The seat deposit is required and will be returned to you at the event. Checks should be made payable to Stetson University College of Law. For assistance, please contact the Office of Student Affairs at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Honors and Awards Ceremony
The Honors and Awards Ceremony is Friday, May 15 at 4:30 p.m. in the Great Hall. The Family Celebration will immediately follow on campus. RSVP via the online Graduate Event Registration Form. You are limited to FOUR guests per graduate to attend the Honors & Awards Ceremony. There will be a reserved section for award recipients at the ceremony. If you have elderly or special needs guests, we suggest that you arrive early to ensure adequate seating. Students should wear business attire to the ceremony. A live webcast will be located in the Eleazer Courtroom with overflow seating for additional guests.
Family CelebrationThe Family Celebration is Friday, May 15, from 6 p.m. – 9 p.m. on the Gulfport Campus. This event is open to graduates and their families and will include great food, live music, tower tours, photo opportunities, and more. RSVP via the online Graduate Event Registration Form.
Commencement will be held on Saturday, May 16, at 8:30 a.m. in the Stetson University College of Law Courtyard, 1401 61st Street South, Gulfport, FL. Overflow seating with a live webcast will be located in the Eleazer Courtroom. Overflow parking is located at Most Holy Name of Jesus Catholic Church, 5800 15th Avenue South, Gulfport, FL.
6:45 a.m. LL.M. graduates, MJ graduates, Fall 2019 J.D. graduates and Spring/Summer 2020 J.D. graduatesreport to campus. Your room assignments are as follows:
- Classroom A: 2019 & 2020 L.L.M. graduates, MJ graduates, Fall 2019 J.D. graduates and Spring/Summer 2020 J.D. graduates A - E
- Classroom G: F - K
- Classroom F: L - P
- Classroom E: Q - T
- Classroom F: V - Z
Your seats in the graduate tent are in alphabetical order – L.L.M. graduates, MJ graduates and Fall 2019 graduates will be seated at the beginning, followed by Spring/Summer 2020 graduates.
Graduates don tams, gowns, and hoods for processional. There will be staff available to assist you in robing.
7:40 a.m. Announcements and final instructions. All graduates must be robed and seated in classrooms.
8:00 a.m. Graduates line up alphabetically for processional.
8:30 a.m. Marshal begins march from horseshoe.
Alternative Site Information
First Baptist Church, 1900 Gandy Blvd N, St. Petersburg, FL. Should we move to the alternate location, you will be advised via email on Friday afternoon or Saturday morning and the ceremony will begin at 10 a.m. Should we move to an alternate site, graduates will be limited to FOUR guests.
Tickets for the alternate site will be distributed with your cap and gown from Career Development. Signs will also be posted on Stetson’s website and on campus on commencement day to direct you to the new location.
- Please be advised that your gowns are black. It is suggested that women wear dark or black shoesto the ceremony. If you are not wearing dark shoes, you may wish to bring a pair to change into for the ceremony.
- Graduates should wear business attire to the Honors & Awards Ceremony.
- What should I wear under my robe for Commencement? Traditionally, dress shirts,slacks,skirts or dresses are worn under the robe with dress shoes. Women should wear sensible shoesfor climbing stairs, walking in grassy areas and standing for extended periods of time. Your attire should reflect the auspicious nature of the occasion.
- Bob Knight Photography will take pictures of each graduate as they walk across the stage and again on the side of the staging area. Bob Knight will contact graduates individually via email in regard to purchasing their photographs. Stetson’s Communications Office photographers take casual pictures of the graduation event, which is posted for free to anyone who wants to download the images.
- Robing rooms will remain locked during the commencement ceremony.
- Following the ceremony, all graduates should continue to march through to the horseshoe area to avoid blocking the main lobby. Please make arrangements to meet your guests at a pre-determined location in the horseshoe or Crummer Courtyard.
If you have any questions, please contact the Events Office at (813) 421-7040 or email@example.com.