Labor Law Externship
4 Credit Hours
Jason R. Bent, Professor of Law
Students will actively participate in the functions of either the Tampa National Labor Relations Board regional office (fall, spring, or summer semester) or the Public Employees Relations Commission (summer semester only) in Tallahassee.Students conduct research on labor-related matters, draft agency correspondence, and participate in the investigation of charges, interview of witnesses, case preparation, and observation of hearings conducted by the agency.
• Tampa National Labor Relations Board (fall, spring, and summer)
• Public Employees Relations Commission (Tallahassee) (summer)
• 170 hours;
• 2-3 meetings or conference calls with professor during semester;
• Regular submission of activity summaries; and
• 3-5 page paper at conclusion of externship.
• Successful completion of all first-year required courses;
• Be in good academic standing;
• Successful completion of Labor Law or Employment Law is preferred;
• Florida Administrative Law preferred for placement with PERC; and
• Pass background check for placement with the NLRB.
• Submit a completed application by the appropriate deadline (for more information, see www.law.stetson.edu/clinics); and,
• Timely submit additional documentation as required for this program. (Students are notified of additional requirements after applying and being provisionally placed in the program.)