American Moot Court Association National Tournament - Resources for Competitors
- Question: I am looking at the schedule and I am not sure what a "heat" means?
- Answer: All teams will argue once in each of the three preliminary rounds. In other words, each team will argue three times on Friday. However, because our main campus is located 150 miles east of the law school, there is not space for all 80 teams to argue at the same time.
Therefore, half of the teams will argue in Heat A, and the other half of the teams will argue in Heat B. (Meal times will also correspond to what Heats the teams are assigned to.) Once the pairings are made, Professor Bowman will schedule the teams to the Heats and the courtrooms. The goal is that teams will stay in either Heat A or Heat B throughout the day, but given the large number of teams, that may not be possible. (But Professor Bowman will do her best!) And if there is more than one team from a school, the teams will be assigned to different Heats.
- Question: Parking -- tell us about parking!
- Answer: View Campus Map. (Much more information is coming about the different venues the teams will be arguing in during the Tournament; so please stay tuned.)
Teams should park in one of two parking lots: (1) the parking lot that is south of the library (which is letter G on the map); or (2) in the parking lot that is south of 15th Avenue South.
- Question: Where will registration be?
- Answer: We are planning on the registration area to be the Banyan Courtyard, behind the Amphitheater.
- Question: Which meals will be provided?
- Answer: On Friday, lunch and dinner will be provided. (Please eat breakfast before coming to campus on Friday.) On Saturday, breakfast and lunch will be provided for the teams and coaches participating in the first elimination round and the round of 32. Teams and coaches are invited back to campus for the Awards Banquet that is expected to start around 8:00 p.m. on Saturday. Otherwise, snacks will be provided throughout the day, both Friday and Saturday, and our Sidebar Bistro will be open both Friday and Saturday. (Hours to be announced.
- Question: What are the hours of the Sidebar Bistro (aka "the coffee shop")?
- Answer: On Friday, January 6, the Sidebar Bistro will be open from 8:00 a.m. until 6:30 p.m. And on Saturday, January 7, the Sidebar Bistro will be open from 8:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. (The Sidebar Bistro is located at letter N on the campus map.)
- Question: Are all the competition rooms in one building?
- Answer: No. As mentioned above, our undergraduate institution is 150 miles east of us. Our campus was built in the early 1920s, and it was first a hotel and then it was a military school, before the law school moved from DeLand in the early 1950s. BUT do not fear -- it is a small campus and with the attached annotated map and instructions from the Great Hall to all the competition rooms, you will not get lost. (Hard copies of the directions will be in your welcome folders and available on the tables in the Great Hall and the Information Booths. Plus there will be many people helping with the competition and they will help get you to where you need to go.)