Stetson Sustainability Series
A playbook for business leaders to put sustainability into purpose and practice.
- 8 Hours Estimated Length
- Virtual Online
- Classes begin October 5, 2021
- 1.2 CEUs
Business sustainability is critical for every organization to integrate throughout their operations to maintain competitiveness and ensure long-term viability. What was once a differentiator is now an essential practice. Business leaders are faced with multiple pressure points to address a myriad of corporate responsibility objectives: Reducing single-use plastic packaging, assessing and addressing carbon emissions and developing a solid brand purpose have particular urgency and scrutiny.
This course will lay the groundwork for business leaders to identify and prioritize key environmental issues facing their organization and to develop a strategy, set goals and embed actionable initiatives. The course is designed to provide a mix of concrete tools that will be explored in an interactive community of practice and peer-to-peer learning.
Throughout the course, students will hear from guest speakers who are charged with embedding sustainability in organizations. Speakers include representatives from Stetson University, Costa Sunglasses, Nuun Hydration, 1% for the Planet, 5 Gyres Institute and more.
Who Is It For?
This course is designed to assist those individuals who are responsible for implementing sustainability initiatives within their organizations or for individuals who want to gain a deeper understanding of business sustainability trends.
Course participants will be provided with a general roadmap to support decision-making in launching a sustainability strategy within their organization. It is often hard to know where to begin, or how to create support and momentum within an organization to validate a sustainability initiative. Business leaders across industries face multiple pressure points from their myriad stakeholders, and there are numerous tools and collaborative opportunities to support these leaders as they work to address sustainability challenges. We will explore and strategize around several course participants’ barriers and successes in cultivating sustainability within their organizations.
Course Outline by Session
October 5: Module 1: Developing an authentic brand purpose
- Provide a foundational understanding of triple- bottom line theory
- Discuss the importance of developing organizational purpose and policies that serve to deeply embed a sustainability ethos
- Outline the key stakeholders that impact an organization's approach to launching a sustainability initiative
October 7: Module 2: Creating the necessary tools
- Introduce the general frameworks to help your organization prioritize its approach to designing a purpose-driven sustainability strategy
- Explore the role of the Circular Economy in shaping a company's approach to design, manufacturing processes, consumers, users and sustainable business models
October 12: Module 3: Third-party organizational and product certifications
- Discuss product and organizational certifications to support your business's sustainability strategy that includes tapping into the power of entities such as B Labs, Climate Neutral and 1% for the Planet
- Review retailer-driven guidance and certifications, including REI's Product Impact Standards, Amazon's Climate Friendly Pledge and Walmart's Project Gigaton
- Introduce the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals that provide targets to help strengthen your corporate responsibility strategy
October 14: Module 4: Developing and nurturing partners and other supporting resources
- Review the collaborative support of industry associations to address sustainability challenges
- Discuss the role that policy plays in guiding corporate responsibility
- Demonstrate the importance of brand ecosystem engagement
- Review key learnings from the course
Meet the Instructor
Lia Colabello develops and manages award-winning sustainability initiatives for organizations, with a focus on reducing single-use plastic, pursuing Climate Neutral and B Corporation certifications, implementing circular economy strategies and engaging entire brand ecosystems in these efforts. She is the Managing Principal of Planet+Purpose Solutions (PPS), a boutique consulting practice whose impact is felt globally and spans an immense variety of organizations and industries.
PPS builds brand awareness by connecting its clients to their purpose and their purpose to consumers through authentic action. PPS and its clients have engaged millions of people to eliminate single-use plastic items. By establishing product and packaging stewardship initiatives, building sustainable corporate ethos through employee engagement and aligning clients with cause partners, Lia and her team accelerate solutions to some of the world’s greatest environmental challenges.