Experiential Learning Requirement
What is the ELR?
All undergraduate students whose majors are within the School of Business Administration must complete two significant experiential learning activities as a requirement for graduation.
Experiential Learning Involves
- Active experience beyond the traditional classroom
- Transfer of learned course material to a real-world setting
- Use of concrete examples and meaningful discussion to gain understanding of the future work environment
What Counts as ELR Credit?
We strongly recommended students focus on internships to satisfy the ELR as they are the most valuable experiences in terms of professional preparation for a future career.
ELR credit may be awarded for significant campus leadership positions or participation in a variety of business school competition teams.
ELR Categories - Eligible Activities
Any internship course in the School of Business Administration (e.g., ACCT 397, MGMT 397, etc.) will be automatically recorded in Degree Audit by the Registrar’s Office as meeting one of the requirements.
To enroll in an eligible course for your academic internship, follow the process outlined on the Career and Professional Development website.
Two internships will completely satisfy the requirement!
Internship experiences may earn half a unit or a full unit of academic credit based on the number of hours completed during the experience.Fall/Spring Internship academic credit is included in the price of tuition. Discounted rates apply during Summer. Check with your Faculty Advisor for internship hour requirements for your specific major. A minimum GPA of 2.5 is required in order to complete an internship for academic credit.
Global and Community Engagement
- Stetson-approved study abroad
- Community Engagement Certificate
- International student status
- Residential Assistants (RAs)
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA)
- Case competition team members
- Stetson student employment*
- Significant campus leadership position
*Not all positions qualify.
Non-Traditional Student / Life Experience
- Own and/or operate a business
- Previous or current full-time employment
- Full-time service in the military
Beginning in fall 2019, required documents should be submitted through the ELR organization available within your Blackboard profile. Visit the ELR guidelines sheet to learn more about the specific requirements for the activities you plan to pursue.