School of Business Administration Dean Search
Requirements and Qualifications
Stetson University seeks a bold, visionary leader capable of advancing the quality and national reputation of our School of Business Administration, as well as elevating academic excellence across the University.
Potential candidates should read the brief descriptions below, but are urged to please review the Leadership Profile prior to submitting your candidacy.
Joining an exceptional community of learners in the midst of growth and dynamic change, the new dean, as a passionate advocate for the school, has an unprecedented opportunity to raise its national and international profile as an innovator of 21st century transformational experiential learning, scholarship, and relevance. Within the school, the dean is responsible for strategic planning and budgets; leading faculty through curricular evolution and program development; hiring exceptional faculty and staff; pursuing development and outreach activities; working closely and collaboratively with multiple advisory boards of the business school and specific business school programs; and fostering a climate of excellence and connectedness between the school, the other academic and non-academic units, and the rest of the university.
The next dean of the School of Business Administration will demonstrate significant successful leadership experience, a commitment to the university’s mission and values, familiarity with opportunities and challenges of business education at the collegiate level and beyond, and the ability to cultivate productive relationships in support of the school’s strategic priorities. A PhD or other terminal degree in a discipline represented in the School of Business of Administration and a record of teaching, scholarship, and leadership that supports appointment as a tenured faculty member at the rank of Professor; or a distinguished record of accomplishment and leadership in business and an understanding of higher education sufficient to assume the academic and administrative responsibilities of the position that supports a multi-year, non-tenure-track appointment as Professor of Business Practice.
Candidates will demonstrate the following qualifications:
- Accomplished record of strategic leadership with ability to articulate vision and inspire engagement
- Ability to adapt to changing business education landscape and move School of Business Administration forward
- Builds strong internal teams and cultivates global connections with industry, alumni, and communities we impact
- Champions both School of Business Administration and Stetson University initiatives, to enhance synergies between colleges and schools
- Enthusiasm and talent for fundraising
- Familiarity with AACSB accreditation processes
Candidates will embody the following personal characteristics:
- Leads with empathy, integrity, humility and compassion
- Able to bring multiple constituencies together around a shared goal
- Strategic thinker with a growth mindset
- Hands-on leader with a student-centered approach to education
- Well-developed communication and listening skills
Candidates will embrace the following core values of the school and university:
- Respect for di#ering perspectives and a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Dedication to cultivating and enhancing faculty and staff relationships and valuing their contribution
- Excellence in teaching, scholarship, and service to the school, university, and community
- Focus on engaged student learning in and beyond the classroom
Stetson University and the School of Business Administration
Stetson University seeks a bold, visionary leader capable of advancing the quality and national reputation of our School of Business Administration, as well as elevating academic excellence across the University. Joining an exceptional community of learners in the midst of growth and dynamic change, the new dean, as a passionate advocate for the school, has an unprecedented opportunity to raise Stetson’s national and international profile as an innovator of 21st century transformational experiential learning, scholarship and relevance.
Inquiries, nominations and applications are invited. Prior to application candidates are encouraged to fully read the Leadership Profile. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. For fullest consideration, applicant materials should be received by November 5, 2021. Candidates should provide, as three separate documents, a curriculum vitae, a letter of application that addresses the responsibilities and requirements described in the Leadership Profile, and the names and contact information of three references. References will not be contacted without prior knowledge and approval of candidates. These materials should be sent electronically via e-mail to Brenda McWhorter at:
Documents that must be mailed may be sent to
School of Business Administration Dean Search,
c/o Brenda McWhorter
421 N. Woodland Blvd., Unit 8399
DeLand FL, 32723