The Honors Stipend
Every student admitted into the program will have up to two-thousand dollars available in a personal research and travel budget. These funds will be available for use only after the student completes the initial four-course (two year) sequence of Honors classes. The funds can be used during the students' third and fourth year for things like
- Study abroad (up to a thousand dollars for airfare)
- Research, scholarship, and artistic activities related to Senior Research
- International and domestic service opportunities
- Research presentation at regional, national and international conferences
- Expenses during unpaid business, governmental and NGO summer internships
Students must submit a full project description, including a faculty support letter, to access the funds. Students will begin working on the applications during HON201, the Honors Workshop. (There will be a spring and a fall application deadline for the applications.) Students need not apply formally to use the funds for airfare when participating in one of Stetson's Study Abroad programs. Although these are "personal stipends," students are not guaranteed these funds-they must qualify for study abroad, and research proposals will be carefully vetted by the Honors Executive Council and the SURE committee. (Faculty will work with students to improve and resubmit any rejected proposal.) Every proposal must be approved; the Council's standards are rigorous and will be clearly conveyed to the students.