Whether you wish to be an industrial or academic chemist, or prefer a career in medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine, pharmacy or other health-related specialty, chemistry is good preparation.
Stetson University's chemistry graduates go on to attend a medical or other health-related professional school, pursue advanced degrees in chemistry, and enter teaching or chemical research positions.
Spring 2011 Graduates
Front Row: Catherine Klima (chemistry); Jen-Chou Wang (biochemistry and chemistry); Rebecca Levine (chemistry). Back Row: W. Tandy Grubbs, Ph.D.; Harry Price, Ph.D.; John York, Ph.D.; Ramee Indralingam, Ph.D.
Spring 2010 Graduates
Front row: Naomi Perricone (chemistry), Sarah Sears (biochemistry), Shekeria Stewart (biochemistry), Ashli Simone (chemistry), Parker Chapman (chemistry), Jesica Spreng (chemistry). Back row: Bill Furlong; Harry Price, Ph.D.; John York, Ph.D.; W. Tandy Grubbs, Ph.D.; Ramee Indralingam, Ph.D..
Spring 2009 Graduates
Front row: Mary Jane Simpson (chemistry), Ember Leipert (biochemistry), Megan Lewis (chemistry), Kyle Schmitt (biochemistry), Danny Infield (biochemistry), Jon Beusse (chemistry). Back row: John York, Ph.D.; Harry Price, Ph.D.; Pete Hauck, Ph.D.; W. Tandy Grubbs, Ph.D.; Bill Furlong, Ramee Indralingam, Ph.D.
What Do Our Graduates Go On to Do?
A few of our successful chemistry and biochemistry graduates include:
- Danny Infield '09 (biochemistry) - Emory University (Ph.D.)
- Mary Jane Simpson '09 (chemistry) - Duke University (Ph.D.)
- Jon Beusse '09 (chemistry) - Louisiana State University (Ph.D.)
- Ashley Morris '08 (chemistry) - Georgetown University
- Darash Desai '08 (biochemistry) - Boston University (Ph.D.)
- Christina Schafer '08 (biochemistry) - University of Miami Miller School of Medicine
- Aguirre de Cubas '07 (biochemistry and chemistry) - Spanish National Cancer Centre (CNIO), Madrid, Spain (Ph.D.)
- Taylor Lewis '07 (biochemistry) - University of Florida Medical School
- Gail Ferek '07 (biochemistry) - University of Florida Medical School
- Becky O'Neill '06 (biochemistry) - Nova Southeastern University Pharmacy School
- Daivd Piechocki '06 (chemistry) - Stetson University College of Law
- Amy Luce '05 (biochemistry) - University of Florida '09, dentistry (D.M.D.)
- Courtney Rouhier Varney '05 (biochemistry) - University of Florida '10, veterinary medicine (D.V.M.)
- Chris Stefancik '05 (chemistry) - University of Florida
- Courtney Rouhier '05 (biochemistry) - University of Florida Veterinary School
- Erin Hurley '04 (chemistry) - Notre Dame University
- Kristin Margadonna '04 (chemistry) - employed at an environmental conservation lab
Other Alumni - Where Are They Now?
We love hearing from and keeping in touch with our many graduates. As we do, we'd like to share with you their whereabouts and accomplishments. If you've been trying to track down a certain classmate, then take a look and see if you can find their name below. All information posted below was given by permission by each alumn in response to our annual Vita Survey, which was sent to them.
You'll find listed below their name, year of graduation, email address, URL to their website and some other information that our alumni have shared with us. Feel free to get in touch with them!
- Jessica Spreng '09 (biology) '10 (chemistry) - administrative assistant, Flight-1, LLC. email@example.com.
- Aguiree Andres de Cubas '07 - presently working on his doctoral thesis in the Hereditary Endocrine Cancer Group in the Human Cancer Genetics Programme at the CNIO. firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Allison Fulton '06 (biochemistry) - environmental specialist, Volusia County Environmental Health Laboratory.
- C. Taylor Lewis '06 - University of Florida College of Medicine. email@example.com.
- Erin Hurley '04 - University of Notre Dame, Ph.D. '09. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kristin Margadonna '04 - employed at Environmental Conservation Labs (ENCO) as an analyst in the organics department. email@example.com.
- Matt Soto '03 (biochemistry) - M.S. (bioinformatics and computational biology), University of South Florida '05. Pharm.D., University of Florida '09, PGY-1 Residency Primary Care Clinical Pharmacy, North FL/South GA Veterans Health System (NF/SG VHS) '10. Currently a primary care clinical pharmacist at a community-based outpatient clinic for the NF/SG VHS.
- Siu (Jennifer) Wah Wong-Deyrup '01 - University of Iowa, Ph.D. bioinorganic chemistry, '07. Adjunct professor, Heidelberg University. firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Amy [Shackelford] Whitten '01 - Ph.D. candidate in genetics and developmental biology at West Virginia University. Cytogenetics technical specialist, West Virginia University Hospitals. email@example.com.
- Cary M. Bucasas '00 - LinkedIn profile.
- Richard C. Laughlin '00 - Clemson University, Department of Genetic & Biochemistry. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Angelito Inocencio Nepomuceno '00 - Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Va., Ph.D. in chemistry. email@example.com.
- Melissa Fries '99 - received D.D.S. from New York University in 2003. Currently employed with the U.S. Navy as a Lt./dentist in general practice since July 2003. Moving to Bremerton, Wa. in 2004. Will be stationed on USS Carl Vinson as a dentist. firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dawn (Jackson) Armbrtester '98 - received M.S. in physical therapy from the University of Central Arizona. email@example.com.
- Matthew Steven Nelson '98 - received M.S. in molecular biology, M.S. in business management from the University of Florida in 2002. Currently employed as an account manager at Bio-Rad Laboratories. firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Matt Kottmann '97 - received M.D. from Thomas Jefferson University in 2001, internal medicine residency at the University of Rochester- Strong Memorial Hospital (2001-2004), pulmonary/critical care medicine fellowship - University of Rochester, SMH. email@example.com.
- Nelly Haddad, '95 D.M.D.- general dentistry. firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sally Elias '95 - attended UM School of Medicine. email@example.com; www.sallyandramy.com.
- Jason Permenter '94 - received D.C. from Logan College of Chiropractic in 1999, is in private practice in Charlotte, N.C. firstname.lastname@example.org; http://permenterchiropractic.chiroweb.com.
- Julia (Cordek) Rusak '94 - M.S. in analytical chemistry, University of Florida. Received her B.S. in nursing from the University of Scranton. email@example.com.
- Chuck Hammett '91 - owner of Dominion Marketing, a company that markets for a national charity that helps people with the down payment of their home. Enjoys golf and tennis. Serves as an associate pastor of his church as well as being involved in many ministry activities. firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Michael T. Kelly '89 - received F.A.G.D., from the University of Florida in 2000, is in private practice in Orange City, Fla. email@example.com.
- W. Todd Lowther '89 - earned Ph.D., University of Florida in 1994. Completed post-doctoral work at the University of Oregon in 2002. Currently an assistant professor at the Center for Structural Biology, Department of Biochemistry, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston-Salem, N.C. firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Thomas Barnard '88 (chemistry) - Earned M.D. from the University of South Florida in 1993. Ophthalmologist - Florida Retina Institute. TBarn84530@aol.com.
- Major August Way Fountain, III '85 - United States Military Academy, Department of Chemistry, West Point, N.Y., Chemical Corps/Academy Professor.
- Belkis Musalen Jones '82 - received D.M.D. from the University of Florida in 1986, is in private practice in Haines City, Fla. email@example.com.
- George W. Taylor '82 - director, The Water Shed Laboratory, DeLand, Fla. firstname.lastname@example.org; http://www.watershedlab.com/.
- J. Michael Digney '81 Georgetown University School of Dentistry, '85, internship at Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami, Fla., '85, residency in oral and maxillofacial surgery, University of Florida, Jacksonville, '86-'90. Private practice in oral and maxillofacial surgery. http://www.drdigney.com.
- Kenneth C. Caster '79, Ph.D. - Duke University, program manager, Air Force Office of Scientific Research, email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Harold Crum '74, O.D. - received O.D. from the Southern California College of Optometry in 1979. Self-employed for the past 27 years. email@example.com.
- Bert M. Gordon '74, Ph.D. - received Ph.D. at Duke University in 1978. Employed at R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company as a principal scientist for the past 28 years. Co-editor, Journal of Chromatographic Science for 20 years. firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com.
- Philip A. Gardner '73, M.D. F.A.C.S., R.V.T. - Received his M.D. from Baylor College of Medicine in 1973. In private practice in Covington, La. since 1982. firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com.
- Tom Ball '73 - received B.S. in pharmacy from the University of Florida in 1976. firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com.
- Joe T. Bamberg '73 (chemistry, economics) - research scientist - Roche. firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Steven Harless '72 - Harless & Associates, CPAs, Atlanta, Ga. email@example.com
- Leon Smith '70 - D.D.S., University of Maryland '77. Practicing dentistry for the past 30 years. firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Susan Jones Cooper '71 - received her M.A. in science education in 1974 from the University of South Florida. Teaching science and math at LaBelle High School, LaBelle, Fla. email@example.com.
- Larry W. Robertson '69, Ph.D., M.P.H. - earned Ph.D. in environmental health sciences from the University of Michigan in 1981. Professor, Department of Occupational and Environmental Health, The University of Iowa, College of Public Health, director of the interdisciplinary graduate program in human toxicology (http://toxicology.grad.uiowa.edu) and program director, Iowa Superfund Basic Research Program. firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Bob Lowry '66 - earned his M.S. in chemistry from Florida Atlantic University in 1969. Co-organizer of medical device materials task force. Is an ACS tour speaker and a reviewer for Device Materials Reliability Journal. email@example.com, http://www.electronic-materials.com.
- William R. Dolbier, Jr. '61 - professor, Department of Chemistry, University of Florida, Gainesville, Fla. Received an honorary doctor of science degree from Stetson University in 1990. firstname.lastname@example.org; http://www.chem.ufl.edu/~wrd.
- Oren Rudolph Smith, Jr. '55, M.D. - received his M.D. from Tulane University in 1959, served from 1961 to 1981 as a flight surgeon and hospital commander in the USAF. Physician/surgeon at Grandury Eye Clinic from 1981-1995.
- John Ladd Buckingham '55, M.D., M.P.H., M.B.S., M.Miss. - received his M.D. from Wake Forest University and M.P.H. from Johns Hopkins University. Retired professor of medicine at the University of Alabama School of Medicine. Served as a medical missionary to Eastern Cambodia. Continues as an FAA sr. aviation medical examiner. email@example.com.
- Jean McCormick Merrill '53 - lab technician at the University of Pittsburgh from 1953 to 1957. Substitute teacher in elementary school for 15 years. firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Howard E. Merrill '52 - received his Ph.D. in chemistry from the University of Pittsburgh in 1957. Retired from Exxon Mobil as a sr. staff chemist in 1986.
- Edward A. Tjarks, '50 - retired from Olin Chemicals. Member of the ACS for 40 years. email@example.com.
- Ann Stine Hughes-Johnson '49 - received her M.D. from National-Louis University in 1964. Worked as an assistant chemist at Abbott Laboratories. Teaching mathematics, computer science for the past 20 years at Waukeyan High School. firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cortez "Corky" Tedder Dannals '46 (chemistry, biology; minor in mathematics) - worked as a research technician at Duke Hospital.
- Karl F. Kesmodel, Jr. '44, M.D. - received his M.D. from Tulane School of Medicine. Retired from Radiology Associates in 1987. Served as chief of radiology at Fort McClellan, Ala. from 1953 to 1955.
- Sydney J. Nix, Jr. '42 - retired from E.I. duPont de Nemours, Inc. as a sr. research chemist after 34 years, in 1984. email@example.com.