This semester, the Counseling Center is offering three workshop series on topics suggested by students. Two of the workshops are open to all students. The other is for current Resident Assistants only.
Please Note: While the sharing of personal experiences is welcome at these workshops, it is not required. You are more than welcome to attend and simply listen. In other words, you are in control of your level of participation.
Come to learn, share and support each other as fellow Hatters!
Hope to see you there!
- Progress Through Stress
Being in college can be stressful for students. Many juggle several responsibilities, such as work, classes and positions within organizations on campus. However, students may not be aware of how stress is affecting them until they become overwhelmed. This workshop provides an overview of what stress means and how it can manifest in students’ lives. This workshop also teaches how to build healthy coping skills for stress management.
Tuesdays: 4:00 – 5:00 p.m.
Feb. 7, 2017 — Feb. 28, 2017
Hollis Center Classroom Topics will include:
- 2/7: Understanding Stress
- 2/14: Causes and Effects of Stress
- 2/21: Skills and Tools to Healthfully Manage Stress
- 2/28: Developing a Personal Stress Management Plan
- The Real Face in the Mirror: Building Healthy Body Image and Self-Esteem
Many of today’s college students are dealing with low self-esteem and body image concerns. This can lead to problems in confidence, challenges in their relationships and can affect their overall health and wellbeing. This workshop explores the underlying factors that lead to low self-esteem and body image concerns. This workshop also provides information and techniques to build a healthier self-image.
Wednesdays: 3:30 -4:30 p.m.
Feb. 8, 2017 — March 22, 2017
Hollis Center classroom Topics will include:
- 2/8: Intro to Self-Esteem/Body Image
- 2/15: Mental Health Concerns related to Self-Esteem/Body Image
- 2/22: Media literacy and Body Image
- 3/1: Relationships and Self-Esteem
- 3/15: Cultural influences on Self-Esteem/Body image
- 3/22: Building positive Self-Esteem/Body Image
- RA Circle Please note this workshop is for current Resident Assistants only.
Being a Resident Assistant comes with its own set of unique challenges. The stress and anxiety that come with such a position can be very difficult to deal with. It is for this reason that the Stetson Counseling Center has partnered with the Department of Housing and Residential Life to create a workshop series that addresses some of the specific issues that are unique for Resident Assistants. This workshop will teach skills that are useful not only to this specific position but also in the future with occupations. The workshop also offers a private setting for discussing the issues faced in the Resident Assistant role to build support and learn from each other’s experiences.
Thursdays: 4:00 -5:00 p.m.
Feb. 9, 2017 — Feb. 23, 2017
UVA Conference room Topics will include:
- 2/9: Stress and Anxiety Management – Battling Perfectionism
- 2/16: Holding Dual Roles as Professional and Friend
- 2/23: Understanding Personal Triggers