Printing Change in Student Labs and Classrooms

Stetson University holds as part of its core values a commitment to environmental responsibility and sustainability, including the responsible use and conservation of our limited natural resources.

It is no surprise that there is an ever-increasing stress being placed on natural resources like paper. By raising awareness of our individual responsibility and collective impact, we seek to effect a positive change by adjusting our overall printing habits and significantly reducing the more than 3 million sheets of paper used each year.

The university fully intends to continue to offer printing as a free service, but as part of a responsible process aligned to our core values. Each student’s account will be credited with 400 prints at the beginning of each semester. This credit will not carry over to subsequent semesters, but will allow students to continue to take advantage of free printing services offered by the university.

Even a few small adjustments can result in very positive change.  These can include, but are not limited to, printing multiple PowerPoint slides on a single sheet, printing your article to a PDF and reviewing it electronically, and taking care not to print blank sheets within or at the end of a printout.

7 comments on “Printing Change in Student Labs and Classrooms
  1. Logan Dodson says:

In the past I have worked hard to conserve paper. Printing double-sided whenever possible to reduce the number of sheets printed and printing on paper that had been used on one side already so that I wasn’t using any additional paper. Is it worth my time and effort to do this any more if I’m going to get charged regardless? Think about it!

I’m sorry to alert the administration but this will not reduce printing. It will just the printing to other printers that they are not supporting. What they won’t pay for in paper they will be paying for in energy for all the student-owned printers that are going to pop up all over campus as people exceed their free print limits. According to the TVA energy cost calculator, as quoted in the Farmer’s Almanac, a small or medium printer can cost between $9.44 and $94.68 a year in electricity. http://www.farmersalmanac.com/home-garden/2006/09/01/how-much-energy-does-your-laser-printer-use/ .

Maybe a first step in the right direction would be to make all printers double-side by default and only lease these printers instead of instituting draconian printer limits. Sounds better, right? Then people will use half as much paper. If these measures don’t reduce paper use then use more measures such as making certain printers only print on half-used paper before finally going to print limits. This will cause fewer problems in departments that print lots of material and save more prints over the long term.

2. Loren Cooper says:

I attempted to find a decent article to show you how ridiculous this argument is, but there are so many, that I decided to just post a Google search link. Have a look.
    Paper is a renewable resource, one that employs millions, and one that’s responsible for there being more forests and woodlands in America today than there were 100 years ago (through paper land management).
    I come from paper country, and while I’m no fan of (any) Big Business, the premise presented here is laughable.
    What we have here is a thinly veiled “green” excuse for the University to increase its profit margins at the expense of its students and their student loan debt.
    If you really want to uphold your “commitment to environmental responsibility and sustainability,” why don’t you come clean about the millions of dollars being spent on landscaping that is literally being ripped from the ground and replaced every year. Seriously, I paid for the piles of sod that currently litter the campus, and I will be paying for decades to come.
    https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=paper%20environment%20renewable%20resource

3. Amanda Spring says:

Well, not everyone is going to be using all of their printing, so I’m sure you can get your friends to print things out for you, too.

4. Idalis Vento says:

This is obscene! As Nathan said, history majors have a lot to read, especially during research intensive courses and senior research. Limiting our printing is going to do nothing but stir up more complaints. What’s the point of raising tuition when the money we’re paying isn’t even allowing the services that we had before. I am not going to have my eye sight suffer even more for having to read on a computer screen rather than printing an article out.

5. Nathan Hale says:

I have a follow up question to this update. When you mention “400 prints” are you referring to 400 whole articles or 400 pages?

• Nathan Hale says:

Because 400 pages is very limiting to history majors in particular, especially those taking research intensive courses as part of the academically rigorous curriculum. Often professors in these courses assign anywhere from 100-300 pages of supplemental reading every single week and for students who are taking more than one History course, as most of us do, this restriction wouldn’t serve us past the first week of classes. It benefits the students most when they can print it out and write and underline the article by hand for 2 1/2 hour discussions every week of the course. Requiring that students keep those articles in an electronic copy only severely limits those who don’t have the resources to carry a tablet or laptop into the classroom.

• Valentine Agranovsky says:

The worst thing is that Stetson doesn’t even bother answering such a basic question. Although I am not a history major, my classes also require me to print many pages. I too would love to know what “400 prints” means.