Students in grades K-12 who have achieved scores at or above the 95th percentile on a nationally normed, standardized assessment and/or participate in a gifted program are invited to participate in the HATS Program.
How do students qualify to participate in the HATS Program?
HATS Saturday and Summer Programs require evidence of high aptitude and/or achievement. If this is the student's first time registering for a class in HATS, he or she will be required to submit documentation of eligibility from one of the following:
- K-3: Participation in a gifted program
- Acceptance letters or other applicable evidence of giftedness or potential for high-level performance
- Students who have been identified as gifted and/or who have participated successfully in a local or school gifted program
- 4-12: Achieving scores at or above the 95th percentile on a nationally normed standardized test in the areas of reading, mathematics, or science
- Documentation must be submitted in the form of test scores such as the ITBS, FSA, CTBS, DCAT, DAS, EXPLORE, PSAT, ACT, or SAT
- Students who have scored at least two standard deviations above the mean or at the 95th percentile or higher on any individual or group-administered, nationally normed, standardized, intelligence assessment
If your student does not meet the criteria specified above (e.g., homeschooled students, students without access to a gifted program, etc.), please contact the HATS administrator at HATS@stetson.edu, who will provide more information about establishing eligibility.
In which grade level should the student be registered?
Please register for courses based on the student's current grade for the 2019-2020 school year.
How do I know which classes are available?
You may register for any course listed on the website for each semester and the summer program. We also request that you select a second choice class in case the first class fills. We accept registrations on a first-come, first-served basis. Once a class reaches capacity, we will post a notice by the course description.
Can I pay for classes online?
Yes, we accept credit cards and e-checks for online payment.
How do I apply for a scholarship to attend Stetson University?
The names of all HATS participants and BESTS members are provided to the Stetson University Office of Admissions. When you are ready to apply to Stetson University, please advise your admissions recruiter you have attended a HATS Summer Program and/or participated in BESTS. You will automatically receive the HATS Scholarship in addition to any other scholarship awards. HATS and BESTS students are typically strong students who qualify for substantial scholarship opportunities at Stetson University.