The BASICS Program
The Brief Alcohol Screening & Intervention for College Students (BASICS) Program is a harm reduction, preventative intervention for college students aimed at those students who are at risk for heavy alcohol consumption and the consequences of this behavior (e.g., missing class, having accidents, being involved in acts of violence).
The BASICS Program isn't an abstinence-only program. Instead, it provides information to students. What the student chooses to do with that information is entirely up to them. The BASICS Program helps students examine their own behavior in a judgment-free environment. It isn't designed to be longer then two sessions, but referrals are available for students who think they would like a more extensive intervention.
What to Expect
Students who participate in the BASICS Program can expect two, one-to-one, 50-minute sessions with a BASICS specialist. Both sessions must be scheduled before starting the program.
At the first meeting, you will become acquainted with the program. You'll discuss what brought you to BASICS and answer brief interview questions. Before your next session, you will complete e-Chug, an online feedback and survey tool that takes less than 40 minutes to complete.
The second BASICS session will be used to review your personalized feedback report and identify potential changes to reduce your risk of developing alcohol-related problems.
BASICS sessions are confidential. Information from BASICS will not be disclosed without your permission. If you are referred from the Office of Community Standards and you grant permission, your attendance only will be reported back to the director.
Making an Appointment
Please read all of the information on this page before calling to schedule an appointment. This will ensure a quick response to your voice message. We work hard to maintain confidentiality and to schedule appointments as quickly as possible.
To schedule your two appointments:
- Call Student Counseling Services at 386-822-8900. Be sure to say you are calling for the BASICS Program.
- If you leave a voicemail, please leave your first and last name (spell out your last name); a phone number at which you can be reached to confirm your appointments; and list out all of the times you are available.
- We'll return your call within two business days.
- If you have an emergency and need to reschedule, please call Student Counseling Services at 386-822-8900 ASAP.
- If you miss your first session, you will need to reschedule both sessions.
- Only one reschedule will be allowed per student participating in the BASICS Program.
- If you don't bring the necessary information with you to your second session, it will automatically be rescheduled.
- All sessions are held at either Student Counseling Services or the Hollis Center.
If you're already participating in the BASICS Program, you should complete the following steps before your second meeting:
- Complete the 15-minute initial survey.
- Complete the e-CHECKUP tool and print two copies of your results.
- Use your self-monitoring card.
- Remember to come to your second session with your e-CHECKUP print outs and self-monitoring card.
Use the following links for more information on BASICS: