Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion: Our Commitment to You as a Resident
We believe in and are committed to the advancement of human rights and to each other, which requires an appreciation of difference, transformation of oneself and an understanding of both one's own culture and the culture of others through their personal experiences.
We believe that living and learning in a diverse community of peers is a transformative experience that prepares students for their careers and to positively engage in their communities throughout their lives.
We acknowledge that the residents who are living in our communities come from a vast array of perspectives, beliefs, and understandings about the world and how to interact with one another.
We strive to cultivate a living environment and community in which all students feel safe, supported, welcome, and at home. Therefore, we make the following commitments to our residents:
- Education about justice, equity, diversity and inclusion, and the underlying impacts of prejudice, power and privilege are a priority of residential learning at Stetson University.
- We prioritize the investigation of actions that jeopardize another student’s ability to feel safe, welcome, and at home.
- We work to support affected students by being active participants in the pursuit of healing and growth within our community.
- We will seek out and remain open to your feedback and hearing your experience so that we can improve and create equitable systems and processes for every member of our community.
- We will maintain and expand a representationally diverse professional and student staff who have a clear understanding of the importance of diversity, equity, inclusion and justice.
- We will ensure that all of our staff will actively participate in appropriate and intentional training regarding prejudice, power, and privilege for their roles.
- We will seek to clearly and consistently communicate our ongoing commitment and actions related to justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- We will annually review the progress of both our action plans for justice, equity, diversity and inclusion, as well as our departmental goals, outcomes, and operations.