LinkedIn allows you to connect with a wide variety of professionals including alumni, Career Development staff, faculty and staff, parents and other relatives, friends, internship supervisors and colleagues, former supervisors, connections from volunteering, and professional association members. Unlike Facebook or Instagram, LinkedIn allows you to have an online presence that is purely professional in nature.
How LinkedIn Can Help You
- Build a professional online presence
- Connect in a meaningful way with alumni and other "warm" contacts
- Research companies and career paths
- Find opportunities with organizations that don't recruit on campus
- Learn lifelong networking skills
Five Golden Rules for Your Profile
As you create your LinkedIn profile, keep in mind the following Five Golden Rules of Student LinkedIn Profiles:
- Your profile photo should be a professional photo of you alone.
- Your headline should consist of your area of study and/or career ambitions.
- Your summary should be keyword-rich summary that includes the type of positions you are seeking.
- Include in your profile a break-down of your volunteer activities, internships and extracurricular activities.
- Seek and include recommendations from professors, advisors, internships, etc.