Distinguished Service Award
The Distinguished Service Award is presented annually to a graduate or friend of the university in recognition of their personal commitment to the ideals and objectives of the Stetson University Alumni Association and dedicated service and advancement of the goals of the university.
Click on the dates below to view award recipients and their bios.
*: Now Deceased
Nancy K. Daves '72
Nancy Daves, earned her degree in Humanities from Stetson University in 1972. She is a retired international marine conservation professional, now active in local environmental and civic issues, and is a member of the Advisory Council of the Institute for Water and Environmental Resilience. She had a distinguished 22-year career with NOAA Fisheries Service after working in the business and non-profit communities. At NOAA, she worked to establish a structure for constituent groups to provide input to the implementation of the Marine Mammal Protection Act, coordinated all agency activities concerning international wildlife trade, and initiated a capacity-building program for developing countries to improve their marine conservation.
After retiring from NOAA, Ms. Daves quickly became involved as a volunteer to several organizations. At Stetson University, she serves as a member of the College of Arts & Sciences Advisory Board. She currently also serves on boards of the Tybee Island Marine Science Center, NewPower PAC, the Sierra Club of Georgia, The Ocean Foundation, and Georgia Interfaith Power & Light. She is active in Georgia politics, supporting women seeking public office.
Richard C. George '76
Richard "Rich" George, a political science graduate, began his public career serving in key management positions as a Volusia County government administrator in Central Florida with an emphasis on growth management and public land acquisition. His last government position was as Seminole County's Deputy County Administrator.
Since 1988, and until its sale in 2019, he has been president of R. George & Associates Inc., a DeLand-based company that designs and builds out libraries, media centers, computer centers and specialized spaces. In addition to serving as consultants around the country, R. George & Associates has completed more than 1,500 projects in Florida, including the expansion and renovation of Stetson's duPont-Ball Library and the Stetson College of Law Library.
George has served on the Stetson Greek Alumni Advisory Board and the College of Arts and Sciences Advisory Board as well as serving in various active roles with the Museum of Florida Art in DeLand. George was elected to the Board of Trustees in May 2012 and chaired the Facilities Management Committee.
Rich and his wife Lilis have generously contributed to many initiatives at Stetson including construction projects at the CUB and Aquatic Center. Additionally, they support athletics, club sports, and the duPont-Ball Library and established the Richard and Lilis George Endowed Fund to the Institute for Water and Environmental Resilience.
Past Award Recipients
- 2019 - William "Ray" Holley '91, JD '97
- 2019 - Rebecca "Becky" O'Mara '03
- 2018 - Linda P. Davis '73
- 2017 - Ronald D. Clifton, Sr. '63, MA '65
- 2016 - Harlan "Butch" Paul '76
- 2015 - Kathleen Linehan Graf '76
- 2014 - Jane Edmunds Novak
- 2013 - Geoffrey A. Jollay '75
- 2012 - Sarah "Sally Mathewes Sartain Jane '62
- 2011 - Betty Drees Johnson '59, MA '62
- 2009 - H. Douglas Lee and Margaret Easley Lee
- 2004 - Michael R. Fronk '74
- 2003 - Michael W. Raymond* '68
- 2002 - Thomas E. Stringer, Sr., JD '74
- 2001 - Gary A. Meadows '59, MA '65
- 2000 - Dennis C. McNamara '44
- 1999 - Joseph J. Master* '58
- 1998 - Lowell Edwin Renfroe
- 1997 - Glenn N. Wilkes '81
- 1996 - Sandra BeVille Furches '72 and John W. Furches '70
- 1995 - Janelle Bozard Latour '78
- 1994 - Gloria Hall Edmondson '80 and Graves Edmondson, Jr. '50
- 1993 - Thomas P. Prince '67
- 1992 - Mark C. Hollis* '56
- 1991 - William M. Roberts III '66
- 1990 - Wendell N. Jarrard, Sr.*
- 1989 - George R. Williams, Sr.*, MA '64
- 1988 - Sally Igo Gillespie, MA '65
- 1987 - Margaret Flexer Duncan* and Pope A. Duncan*, Hon '87
- 1986 - Paul E. Raymond*, Hon '82
- 1985 - Marie Dawson*
- 1983 - B. Frank Wheeler, Jr.*, BA '43, Hon '83
- 1982 - Barbara Rowe*, MA '42 and Etter McTeer Turner*, BA '35, MA '36, Hon '83
- 1981 - John L. Pelham*, BA '50, Hon '76
- 1980 - Kenneth P. Kirchman*, BS '58, Hon '80
- 1976 - Margaret Linzel Walker*, BA '42