Distinguished Service Award
The Distinguished Service Award is presented annually to a graduate or friend of the university in recognition of their personal commitment to the ideals and objectives of the Stetson University Alumni Association and dedicated service and advancement of the goals of the university.
Select the dates below to view award recipients and their bios.
*: Now Deceased
Primrose Cameron, MS '02
Primrose Cameron is president & CEO of Cameron Enterprises, a motivational speaker, life coach, educator, and author. An advocate for families and young adults in Volusia County, she has established Sisters Build Network for Girls, a mentoring group for girls in grades 3-12, is the founder of the Sister Build Network for women to inspire and uplift one another, and founded the Calling A Few Good Men conference which holds men accountable for the lives of children and encourages mentorship. Dr. Cameron’s speaking engagements include topics such as building relationships in the workplace, effective communication, building self-esteem and confidence, community engagement, and functional families. She hosts a weekly blog radio program, is a columnist for the West Volusia Beacon, and has recently published her first book “Princess Primrose Goes to Washington DC”.
Dr. Cameron has held leadership roles with the Juvenile Diversion Alternative Program; DeLand Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority; the Florida Sheriff’s Youth Ranch; Florida Association for Multicultural Counseling and Development; Volusia Teacher’s Organization; and Florida Education Association. As an alumna of Stetson University, she served on the College of Arts & Sciences Board of Advisors 2007 – 2012, and the Alumni Association Board 2013 – 2015.
Michele Skelton '84
Dr. Michele Skelton, Associate Professor of Health Sciences, returned to Stetson after earning her master’s degree and doctorate in exercise physiology and has been a mentor and instructor to students since 1993. She served as the chair of the integrative health science department from 1999-2012 and was the Lynn & Mark Hollis chair of health and wellness from 2009-2015. In 2005 she was the recipient of Stetson’s highest faculty award, the McEniry Award for Excellence in Teaching. Michele is known by students and colleagues as one who gives her all to students, striving to ensure they develop a love for life-long learning.
In addition to her dedication to her work, Michelle is an active volunteer in the community. During 2020, Dr. Skelton transported more than 150 dogs & cates to new or foster homes as a volunteer driver for Florida Transport. She is also a foster and transporter for A.R.F. Shack, a dog rescue committed to rescue, rehabilitation, education and legislation. Her own dog, Olive, is a certified therapy dog and has worked with autistic patients, Stetson study breaks, and Paws for Thought.
More recently, Dr. Skelton orchestrated nearly 1400 meals for health care workers and first responders during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic. Working with a grant to Stetson from the Pargh Foundation, Michele and her colleagues delivered gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches and an assortment of pizzas and pastas. Accompanying this act of kindness came a gift of comfort – ear guards for the front-line workers wearing masks for long shifts. Michele brought her idea to Dean Sue Ryan and a flurry of 3D printing began. Michele’s commitment and dedication to serving others resulted in 1500 ear guards being donated to health care workers and first responders, and 6000 being distributed amongst the Stetson community.
Past Award Recipients
- 2020 - Nancy K. Daves '72
- 2020 - Richard C. George '76
- 2019 - William "Ray" Holley '91, JD '97
- 2019 - Rebecca "Becky" O'Mara '03
- 2018 - Linda P. Davis '73
- 2017 - Ronald D. Clifton, Sr. '63, MA '65
- 2016 - Harlan "Butch" Paul '76
- 2015 - Kathleen Linehan Graf '76
- 2014 - Jane Edmunds Novak
- 2013 - Geoffrey A. Jollay '75
- 2012 - Sarah "Sally Mathewes Sartain Jane '62
- 2011 - Betty Drees Johnson '59, MA '62
- 2009 - H. Douglas Lee and Margaret Easley Lee
- 2004 - Michael R. Fronk '74
- 2003 - Michael W. Raymond* '68
- 2002 - Thomas E. Stringer, Sr., JD '74
- 2001 - Gary A. Meadows '59, MA '65
- 2000 - Dennis C. McNamara '44
- 1999 - Joseph J. Master* '58
- 1998 - Lowell Edwin Renfroe
- 1997 - Glenn N. Wilkes '81
- 1996 - Sandra BeVille Furches '72 and John W. Furches '70
- 1995 - Janelle Bozard Latour '78
- 1994 - Gloria Hall Edmondson '80 and Graves Edmondson, Jr. '50
- 1993 - Thomas P. Prince '67
- 1992 - Mark C. Hollis* '56
- 1991 - William M. Roberts III '66
- 1990 - Wendell N. Jarrard, Sr.*
- 1989 - George R. Williams, Sr.*, MA '64
- 1988 - Sally Igo Gillespie, MA '65
- 1987 - Margaret Flexer Duncan* and Pope A. Duncan*, Hon '87
- 1986 - Paul E. Raymond*, Hon '82
- 1985 - Marie Dawson*
- 1983 - B. Frank Wheeler, Jr.*, BA '43, Hon '83
- 1982 - Barbara Rowe*, MA '42 and Etter McTeer Turner*, BA '35, MA '36, Hon '83
- 1981 - John L. Pelham*, BA '50, Hon '76
- 1980 - Kenneth P. Kirchman*, BS '58, Hon '80
- 1976 - Margaret Linzel Walker*, BA '42