Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing
Admission to a program of study requires evidence of the applicant's ability to pursue graduate study and to complete the requirements for the specific degree program. An applicant may take up to six credit hours while seeking admission. To seek admission to a graduate program, a candidate must have a baccalaureate degree from an accredited four-year institution.
The MFA program has rolling admissions; we review and accept qualified applicants on an ongoing basis, offering a seat for the next available term. Note: as we provide lodging during the residencies, there are a limited number of beds/rooms. The sooner you apply for your preferred start term, the more likely you'll receive that spot.
- Summer 2021
- Complete Application Date: January 15, 2021
- Deposit Deadline: February 15, 2021
Faculty Meet and Greets
- Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, we have moved our meet and greets to a virtual platform. Join our Program Director and guests of the program (including faculty, alumni and current students) during our virtual meet and greets.
A Room with a view: Bomb Magazine Book Launch - The Reconception of Marie
Required Application Materials
- Application for Admission
- $50 application fee
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- Two letters of recommendation
- Work Sample
- Poetry in an Expanded Field: 5-8 work samples (text, image, sound, video, or combination thereof)
- Prose: 1-4 work samples (15-page min, 20-page max; narrative samples must be double spaced)
- Exploratory Path: 4-8 work samples, combination of genres and forms
- Personal Statement - 1-2 pages or a 1-3 minute video explaining why you want to be considered
Application materials should be sent to Stetson University:
Stetson University Office of Graduate Admissions
421 N. Woodland Blvd.
DeLand, Florida 32723
The following additional requirements apply to international applicants:
Submit your transcripts.
Official transcripts from your undergraduate degree are required. Transfer students are required to submit transcripts from all colleges and/or universities attended as well as a listing of courses in progress that includes course names, course numbers and numbers of credit hours.
If the grading and evaluation system used by your education system differ from those used by the United States education system, you must provide official translation and a course-by-course evaluation of undergraduate/graduate degree studies. Please use one of the following evaluation services for your course-by-course evaluation:
World Educational Services
22 Prince St.
New York, NY 10012
Josef Silny & Associates
7101 SW 102 Ave.
Miami, FL 33173
Take an English proficiency test.
All applicants for admission whose native language is not English are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language and submit a score of 90 or better on the Internet-based test. Please contact the Office of Graduate Studies for additional information; the office's contact information is at right.
Submit immigration forms.
Upon admission, WORLD: The David and Leighan Rinker Center for International Learning will assist students in obtaining a student visa. To issue the U.S. Immigration Form I-20 "Certificate of Eligibility," the department must have on file acceptable documentation and evidence showing that the admitted student has funds to pay for the first year of study at Stetson University. The student should keep a copy of this financial documentation as he/she will need to present it at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate as part of the visa application procedure. Please contact the department at 386-822-8165 or email@example.com with questions regarding this step.
Please send all necessary documentation to WORLD: The David and Leighan Rinker Center for International Learning to the following address:
- Department of International Learning
421 North Woodland Boulevard
DeLand, Florida 32723