Stetson University is committed to providing equal access to educational opportunities for all students. In order for the Accessibility Services Center to provide the most appropriate accommodations, we require detailed documentation for each student registering with our office.
Please be aware that evaluative reports alone do not automatically qualify a student for disability support services. The final determination for providing appropriate and reasonable accommodations rests with Stetson University. Furthermore, accommodations may vary depending on academic programs and/or course content.
Please review the relevant guidelines for submitting documentation:
- Learning Disabilities and Attention Disorders
- Physical Disabilities, Psychological Disorders, and Other Health Impairments
In addition to these specific guidelines, please consider the following:
- A school plan (such as an Individualized Educational Plan (IEP) or 504 Plan) may be sufficient documentation, based upon the accommodations being requested.
- Notes on a doctor's prescription pad are not acceptable.
- Documentation should be on official letterhead. The professional provider of care cannot be an immediate family member. Depending on the disability, it is helpful if documentation is recent.
- Send copies of psycho-educational reports and medical records, as documentation may not be returned.
- Securing appropriate documentation can be a costly and lengthy process. Consider consulting with your medical insurance provider, as they may cover a portion or all of the testing costs. In addition, some teaching hospitals or psychology training sites offer low-fee testing services.
Testing For Disabilities
Stetson University does not conduct testing for disabilities. However, we can provide you with a list of local testing specialists and community resources. We also recommend that you consult your medical insurance provider to determine what evaluations may be covered. Any costs incurred are the responsibility of the student or the policy holder of your medical insurance.