Frequently Asked Questions

Below is a series of questions frequently asked by incoming students and their family members. If you have any further questions, comments or concerns, please contact the Academic Advising office at [email protected] or (386) 822-7345.

When will my AP/IB/AICE scores come in?

  • These scores usually come in by late July. If students are enrolled in a course that becomes a duplicate with the acceptance of these scores, the students will be notified and a correction will be made.

What do I need to do to get my schedule?

  • In order to get your schedule, you need to complete three things on your New-Hatter Checklist:
    • PDA (Personal Data and Advising) Form
    • Health History Form
    • Immunization Form

What will my first-semester schedule look like?

  • Your schedule will consist of an FSEM course, the first course in your major, a general education course, and an elective.

How many classes do I need to take to be considered full-time?

  • In your first semester, you may take a maximum of 16 hours. To be considered a full-time student, you must take at least 12 hours.
  • Music students may be required to take 17 to 18 hours. Music students will be registered by the the School of Music.
  • To register for 11 credits or less, talk to Financial Planning about how this may impact your financial aid.

Who has to take an FSEM?

  • If you completed your AA while still enrolled in high school (via dual enrollment), then you are still required to take an FSEM.
  • If you completed your AA AND at least 1 semester at another institution after completion of high school, you do not need an FSEM.
  • If you transfer in less than 24 credit hours you do need to take an FSEM.

I am a Discovery student. How do I pick my classes?

  • Your Discovery advisor will assist undecided students in exploring possible majors. All incoming students will receive a full schedule from Advising based on the information provided in the PDA.

Can I change my schedule?

  • Students will have the opportunity to work with their New Hatter Advisors to change their schedule if needed.

How do I get an appointment with my New Hatter Advisor?

  • Access the Stetson SSC from the Student Life tab on my.stetson. Once logged on, select “Schedule an Appointment,” then select “Academic Advising.” A drop-down menu will appear and you are asked to select the option that best fits your needs.

I want to change my major. What do I do?

  • For incoming students who change their majors prior to beginning at Stetson simply notify your New Hatter Advisor who will work with you to change it via the Registrar's Office.

How and when do I buy textbooks?

  • Check the Bookstore's website for the required textbooks before classes begin. If your course or textbooks are not listed, your professor will discuss course materials on the first day of class. Follow these instructions on how to purchase your textbooks.

I am not a music major but I still want to participate in an ensemble.

  • All ensembles are open to students regardless of major.

I am not a music major but I still want to take lessons.

  • Students wanting to take private instruction on voice or an instrument must pass an audition with appropriate faculty in the School of Music. Contact Andy Hunt to schedule this audition and to learn about the audition process. Email: [email protected], Phone: 386-822-8975

Schedule an Appointment

To schedule an appointment, access the Stetson SSC from the Student Life tab on Log on, choose the blue "Get Assistance" button on the top right-hand side, select "Academic Services," then "Academic Success." Choose the option that best fits your needs from the drop-down menu.

Questions? Please contact [email protected] or (386) 822-7345.

Placement Testing

» Learn more about placement testing for Writing, Quantitative Reasoning and Language.