Smoke/Tobacco-Free launch tops news
Stetson’s smoke- and tobacco-free policy and law schools preparing students for job searches led the news for Stetson this week. Notable national and regional placements include Big News Network, Inside Counsel, Times-Picayune, Politico, Huffington Post, Florida Bar Journal and Daytona Beach News-Journal. Top stories for July 25-31 include:
- Stetson’s ban on smoking and tobacco products at residential campuses was covered by Big News Network, Central Florida News 13, Bay News 9, WPBF and WFTV.
- Christopher Pietruszkiewicz, dean of the College of Law, is quoted in Inside Counsel article, about preparing students for career success, on July 29.
- Chris Ferguson, Ph.D., professor and chair of psychology, was quoted in a July 30 Times-Picayune article about teens whose violent acts indicate a “grudge against society in general.”
- Peter Lake, professor of law, is quoted in the Politico story, “On NCAA, Congress getting in the game.”
Other Stories in the News
- Stetson University was mentioned in the article, Taking Shelter is the Best way to Avoid Lightning, on News Press July 25.
- T. Wayne Bailey, PhD., professor of political science, vice chairman of the Volusia County Charter Review Commission and former chairman of the Volusia County Democratic Executive Committee wrote a letter to the editor published in the July 27 Daytona Beach News Journal regarding nonpartisan elections for school board and county council.
- F. Robert Huth, vice president for Business and Chief Financial Officer, received a 2014 Distinguished Business Officer Award from NACUBO. The award is the organization’s highest honor and recognizes outstanding achievement in the field of business and financial management in higher education, according to Insurance News on July 27.
- Mark Wilson, Stetson’s rowing coach, works to make his sport visible, according to The Daytona Beach News Journal on July 27.
- Christopher Ferguson, PhD., associate chair and professor of psychology, was mentioned in the article on BlogSpot entitled, Risky Behavior Comes From The Movies, on July 27.
- Peter Begalla, director, consultant and lecturer in family enterprise, was reported to be a speaker at the 2014 Outlook Leadership Conference, according to CSPnet on July 25.
- David Schmidt, associate professor of music, was mentioned in Hometown News in an article about the 2014 summer Brass Camp on July 25.
- The current issue of Champion magazine includes an article about this year’s White Collar Criminal Defense Award recipients announced at Stetson Law, John Keker and Jan Nielsen Little.
- The Elder Law Prof Blog on July 28 includes a post from Law alumna and Professor Rebecca Morgan, Preventive Treatments for Alzheimer’s.
- A Stetson student was mentioned in a July 30 Huffington Post blog on how students can make money during the summer. The student discussed event promotion on social media. Additional coverage: Money Finder Blog.
Alumni in the News
- James Golden is one of four candidates running for the Manatee County School Board’s District 5 seat in the August 26 election, according to The Bradenton Times on July 25. Additional coverage: East County Observer, Online Observer Group.
- Benny Walker was elected a new board officer for the Community Foundation of Harford County, according to The Dagger on July 27.
- JLL’s capital markets group recently added Scott Lamontagne to shore up the firm’s multifamily investment sales platform in the burgeoning central Texas region, according to CoStar on July 24.
- According to the Pensacola News-Journal on July 27, Stetson University alumnus Charles Liberis has joined Stetson University College of Law’s board of overseers.
- The PRWeb article on July 30, Skubiak & Rivas P.A., Attorneys Warn Against Illegal Cell Phone Searches by Police Following U.S. Supreme Court Ruling, references Law alumnus Alain Rivas.
- According to the News4 Jacksonville on July 28, Law alumnus Adam Warren is running as a candidate for seventh circuit judge. Stetson University alumna Kathy Weston is also announced as a candidate in the News4 article.
- Gregory Coleman is featured on the front page of the Florida Bar News and on the cover of the Florida Bar Journal.