Video games, football top Stetson news
Violent video games and Stetson’s historic football game over the holiday weekend led the news coverage of Stetson over the past week. Notable national and local placements include National Geographic Online, CNBC, Associated Press, Yahoo! Sports, Yahoo! News, Money News, WESH, WFTV, WOFL, Bay News 9 and Tampa Tribune. Top stories for Aug. 30-Sept. 5 include:
- Chris Ferguson, associate professor and chair of Psychology, has published new research in the Journal of Youth and Adolescence on the effect of violent video games on children. Ferguson co-authored an article on the subject for the Orlando Sentinel on Sept. 5. The research, which shows that the games do not impact a child’s propensity for violence, has been reported in dozens of media outlets and blogs including National Geographic Online and Daily Rx.
- Bruce Jacob, Dean Emeritus and Professor of Law, is quoted in the Aug. 29 Associated Press article, “Polk group claims deputies spied on meeting.” The article also ran in dozens of media outlets including the SFGate and Miami Herald.
- Law Professor Jason Bent is quoted in the Sept. 2 CNBC article, “Part-time jobs: Dramatic shift in who is underemployed.” The article appeared in national/international media including Money News and in MSN Canada.
- Stetson’s first football game in 57 years is one for the history books now, but it created a lot of media buzz as a weather delay caused the game to be played over two days. Coverage included: Associated Press, Yahoo! Sports, Yahoo! News, WCBS-AM, NBC Nightly News Online, Opposing Views, Orlando Sentinel, Sun-Sentinel, Daytona Beach News-Journal, WKMG-TV, Central Florida News 13, WESH-TV, WOFL-TV, WFTV-TV, Bay News 9, Hometown News, West Volusia Beacon, Salinas Californian, Big News Network, Sarasota Herald-Tribune, Lexington Dispatch, AllVoices, Idaho Statesman, Charlotte Observer, Gainesville Sun, Courier-Post, The Tim Brando Show, and dozens of other media outlets.
Other Stories in the News
- Law Adjunct Professor Joseph Bodiford is quoted in the Aug. 31 Tampa Tribune article, “DUI manslaughter case proceeding, but slowly.” Professor Bodiford also appeared in a story about this case airing on the Sept. 4 Newschannel 8 evening report.
- An article on MentalFloss.com mentions Stetson’s Family Enterprise major as “one your college probably didn’t offer.”
- According to the Sept. 3 PRLog, Stetson Law students Sara Calabrese and Dena Daniels were honored by the Sarasota County Bar Association.
- In a Sept. 3 Daytona Beach News-Journal article Stetson’s first football game in 57 years is credited (along with other events) for giving local hoteliers a boost during the Labor Day holiday weekend.
- A Sept. 3 article in Advantage Business Magazine mentions that Stetson is 21 on a list of Florida colleges ranked by ROI.
- The West Volusia Beacon reported on Sept. 4 that Stetson is planning a Sept. 11 day of service.