Navy Yard shootings, low airfare, Survivor top news
Stetson experts were quoted in the media this week on topics as varied as the Navy Yard shootings, free flights on United and the new season of Survivor. Notable national and local news coverage included: U.S. News & World Report, Time Ideas, Wall Street Journal MarketWatch, Orlando Sentinel, Tampa Tribune, Sports Network, WUSA-TV, KTHV-TV, WSYR-TV, KGPE-TV, TickerTech.com, WTVQ-TV, WGRZ-TV and Tampa Bay Times. Top stories for Sept. 13-19 include:
- Christopher J. Ferguson, associate professor and department chair of psychology, provided perspective Sept. 17 on mass shootings after 34-year-old Aaron Alexis, an avid video gamer, was accused of the Navy Yard shooting, in his article published in Time Ideas, Game Zone, U.S. News & World Report
- Law Professor Mark Bauer spoke with the Sept. 19 Wall Street Journal MarketWatch for the Sept. 19 article, “Why United honored accidental free flights.”
- Andy Dehnart, visiting professor of journalism, is quoted in a Sept. 17 Tampa Bay Times article about reality TV shows and the new season of Survivor.
- Law Professor Ciara Torres-Spelliscy’s article, “Severability & Electoral Silver Linings after Shelby, Citizens United, and Bennett,” was cited in the Sept. 17 Legal Theory Blog.
- Stetson was featured, along with Mercer, in an article on Pioneer Football League startup programs. Sept. 18 news coverage included: fox30jax.com, Sports Network, WETM-TV, KGET-TV, WMAZ, WLTX-TV, WTSP-TV, WUSA-TV, KTHV-TV, WSYR-TV, WXXA-TV, KGPE-TV, TickerTech.com and more than a dozen other outlets throughout the country.
- The Sept. 13 Tampa Bay Times reported that Law Dean Emeritus and Professor of Law Bruce Jacob was the guest speaker at a St. Leo University program about Constitution Day 2013 Gideon v. Wainwright.
Other Stories in the News
- Law Professor Stephanie Vaughan is included in a cover photo on the International Trade and Business Law Review “Festschrift for Bruno Zeller.”
- Stephen John Ellis, assistant professor of digital arts, has two digital art pieces featured at the New Blood/New Media digital exhibition at FGCU, according to Examiner.com on Sept. 15.
- Law Adjunct Professor Adam Tebrugge writes in the Sept. 17 Tebrugge Legal Blog about restoring sanity to the criminal justice system and why he chose a career in law.
- According to the Sept. 16 UDaily, former Stetson Law Professor Charles Elson was recently named in the National Association of Corporate Directors seventh annual Directorship 100 list, a who’s who of the most influential corporate directors and corporate governance professionals in the nation.
- Freshman Ryan Gildea was featured in a Sept. 18 Daytona Beach News Journal article discussing why he decided to join Stetson’s football team when he had other options.
Alumni in the News
- Pam Stewart has been named Florida’s new Education Commissioner, according to WCTV-TV and Tampa Tribune.
- Stetson-trained artist Catherine Haynes Stockwell created over 5,000 paintings and some will be displayed at the Lake Eustis Museum of Art beginning Friday, according to the Orlando Sentinel and Winter Park-Maitland Observer.
- According to the Sept. 16 CityBizList, Law alumna Sara Klco has joined Broad and Cassel’s Miami office as an associate in the commercial litigation practice group.
- The Sept. 13 Tampa Bay Times reports that Law alumna Lauralee Westine has been appointed to the board of trustees of St. Petersburg College.
- The Sept. 13 Review Seeker reports that Law alumnus Philip E. DeBerard, IV is following in his father’s footsteps and is the most recent addition to the law firm of Philip DeBerard, Injury Attorney.
- Thomas A. McKinley is now vice president of commerical loans at Citizens National Bank, featured in Petoskey News-Review.