Football 101: GO HATTERS!
August 30, 2013
Stetson University will take the football field for the first time in 56 years on Saturday, Aug. 31, at 7 p.m. Because we know you will want to be part of this historic moment in Hatter History, we are happy to offer the following class notes for HATTER FOOTBALL 101 to help you navigate this new football season at Stetson:
Top Five Things You Should Know
1. Stetson Football Gameday is your A-Z index for all things football and game day related.
2. Bring cash.
3. Wear green and white.
4. Arrive early and hang out at the free, child friendly Hatter Village tailgate.
5. Consider walking or taking the trolley from downtown to the stadium. If you must drive, plan to carpool and to pay for a spot. (Specific transportation information is below.)
Game Day Website and Other Basics
Check the full football schedule to find out about all home and away games.
Spec Martin Memorial Stadium is located at 260 E. Euclid Ave., DeLand, FL 32724.
With the exception of suite level, alcohol is not allowed inside Spec Martin Stadium.
ATMs are not available inside of Spec Martin Memorial Stadium.
- Gates open 90 minutes before kickoff.
- Tickets may be purchased at the Edmunds Center Ticket Office or online.
- Normal ticket office hours: Monday-Friday: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Call 386-738-HATS or visit Stetson Tickets for more information.
- Tickets are also sold at Spec Martin Memorial Stadium starting three hours prior to kickoff. Ticket windows are located at the north and south ends of the stadium. Ticket sales will continue until the end of the third quarter.
- Beginning four hours before kick-off, Hatter Village will open on Alabama Avenue between Hubbard and Euclid Avenues. This is the place to be prior to the game!
- Enjoy food, drinks and a great college football atmosphere. In addition, enjoy sponsor booths and giveaways, inflatables and appearances by the Stetson Band and Spirit Groups.
- Opens: 4 hours prior to kick-off.
- Closes: 20 minutes before kick-off.
- Cost: Free admission
Tailgating, Food, and Alcohol Consumption
- Check out the tips in our basic tailgating guide.
- Learn about Stetson’s tailgating policy, which accounts for alcohol consumption.
- If you do not purchase a formal tailgating spot, you may tailgate at your vehicle in the general parking areas.
- Spec Martin Memorial Stadium has concession stands providing many choices of delicious game day foods and refreshing Coca-Cola products. There are stands located at the north entrance of the stadium and in the south end zone. Additionally, there are a variety of other food vendors located outside the stadium to assist in your pregame tailgating.
- All state and local laws regarding the consumption of alcohol must be observed in the tailgating area. Consumption of alcohol is strictly prohibited in areas not designated for tailgating. Students\fans violating state and local alcohol laws and regulations are subject to criminal and\or university sanctions and discipline. Consume responsibly.
- All beverages must be consumed in cans, paper or plastic cups. No drinking out of glass bottles is permitted. No alcohol shall be permitted outside of designated tailgating areas. No beverages of any kind are permitted to be brought into Spec Martin Stadium.
Parking and Transportation
- Regular ticket holders will be required to pay $20 (cash only) for parking in one of the designated lots on game day. Carpooling is highly recommended.
- Parking spaces will be sold on the day of the game on a first come, first served basis.
- Interested in driving to the stadium? Here are more details on parking at Spec Martin Memorial Stadium.
- You may also walk to the stadium from campus along the Alabama Avenue Greenway Trail (aka DeLand Greenway) that starts near the Lynn Business Center.
- The trail starts on East Ohio Avenue, between the LBC and North Hayden Avenue, at Painter’s Pond Park.
- The City of DeLand will be operating a trolley system between downtown and Spec Martin Stadium.
Swag and Spirit
- Shout out on social media, use the hashtag #gohatters and make frequent visits to the GoHatters mashup page.
- Other hashtags being used this weekend include #RestoringTheTradition, #HattersGameDay and #TheWaitIsOver
- Follow the football team on Facebook and Twitter.
- Expect to see new traditions this football season!
- Always wear green and white to the game. Need some game day clothes? Check out the bookstore or Sportsanity in downtown DeLand.
- Come early. Be loud. Stay late. GO HATTERS!
With help from Tanner Vickers
Assistant Director for Vibrancy & Traditions