Tailgating, M.Acc. program lead news
Stetson has one of the top-ranked Master of Accountancy programs in the country, and DeLand city commissioners unanimously approved a request to allow tailgating around Spec Martin Stadium. Notable national and local placements include Orlando Sentinel, MLB.com, Tampa Bay Times, South Bend Tribune, and Bradenton Herald. Coverage for June 14-19, 2013, includes:
- Stetson’s Master of Accountancy program ranks seventh in the country according to MastersDegreeOnline.org, for small campuses in a suburb of a larger city. Additional coverage: San Antonio Express, PR-Canada.net.
- Professor Ciara Torres-Spelliscy’s blog on the SEC & Dark Political Money appeared in the June 17 Sunlight Foundation blog.
- DeLand city commissioners unanimously approved a request from Stetson athletics to allow tailgating in parking lots around Spec Martin Stadium, according to a June 17 article in the Daytona Beach News-Journal. In addition, a June 15 article in the Daytona Beach News-Journal reported on progress of construction and renovation at Spec Martin Stadium saying that DeLand area businesses were anxiously awaiting the return of Stetson football.
- Stetson was mentioned in a June 19 article in the Ocala Star Banner about educating prisoners at the Lowell Correction Center for women in northern Marion County. Additional coverage: Gainesville Sun.
Other Stories in the News
- Stetson’s Lifelong Learning program was mentioned in a June 14 Orlando Sentinel article on Rollins’ new program of continuing education for seniors.
- Stetson was mentioned in a June 20 article in the Orlando Sentinel on a teacher quality rating that was included in US News & World Report. The article said that Stetson did not participate in the new rating. Additional coverage: Sun-Sentinel.
- The Cold War Veterans Blog mentions that Law Professor Michael Allen is speaking at the Subcommittee on Disability Assistance and Memorial Affairs.
- The June 15 Tampa Bay Times features a story about Law student Paul Driscoll in the story “Here’s to my dad, engineer, Tampa police major, Stetson law student, nice guy.”
- On June 17 in the Orlando Sentinel, Stetson was mentioned in an article regarding online privacy. Additional coverage: South Bend Tribune, American News, Imperial Valley Press.
- Peter G. May, professor of biology, was mentioned in a blog post for confirming a bird enthusiast’s identification of a black-bellied whistling duck, Dendrocygna autumnalis.
- The hiring of Corey Williams as head coach of Stetson men’s basketball continues to make news. Coverage includes: The Telegraph. Williams was interviewed by The Telegraph’s sports blog on June 18 to discuss his new position at Stetson. In the meantime, news that Casey Alexander is re-locating his previous coaching staff from Stetson to Lipscomb is also making headlines. Coverage includes: Nashville City Paper.
- The June 16 News-Press mentions that Law student Shaun Cummings will work at Henderson, Franklin, Starnes & Holt, P.A., as clerk during the summer.
- The Sun-Sentinel mentions former Florida AG Bob Butterworth, who has an honorary doctor of law from Stetson University.
Alumni in the News
- According to the June 16 News-JournalOnline.com, Law alumnus Vincent Citro, an assistant U.S. Attorney in the Middle District of Florida, will receive Stetson University College of Law’s Distinguished Alumni Award. Citro will receive the award at the annual Stetson Lawyers Association Annual Alumni & Friends Reception on June 27 in Boca Raton.
- Corey Kluber, starting pitcher for the Cleveland Indians, was named American League Co-Player of the Week along with teammate second baseman Jason Kipnis, according to MLB.com. The article was widely reported by nearly every Major League Baseball team and WOIO-TV.
- According to the June 13 naplesnews.com and Business Observer, law alumni Suzanne M. Boy, Traci T. McKee, and John M. Miller of the law firm Henderson, Franklin, Starnes & Holt, P.A., were selected for inclusion in the 2013 Florida Super Lawyers and Rising Stars lists. The 2013 Super Lawyers list includes 487 Stetson Law graduates.
- Bob Manley has been named vice president of business administration at Greystone Alliance, a debt collection agency. Greystone is merging with Turning Point Capital a company co-founded by Manley, according to InsideARM.com.
- David Allibone has been hired by The ANNIKA Academy, Hall-of-Fame golfer Annika Sorenstam’s boutique golf instruction and fitness school, as a sales professional, according to WorldGolf.com.
- Left-handed pitcher Cameron Griffin has signed with the Gulf Coast League Pirates, a rookie ball team of the Pittsburgh Pirates, according to MLB.com.
- TheLedger.com reported June 13 that law alumna Andrea Teves Smith will become the newest circuit judge for the 10th Judicial Circuit. The June 16 Watchdog also mentions Smith.
- Law alumnus Matthew D. Westerman is featured in the June 17 Bradenton Herald, “Names and Faces.”
- Law alumna Marisa J. Powers if featured in The Bradenton Times on June 20 for receiving the “AV Preeminent” Peer Review Rating by Martindale-Hubbell.
- Law alumnus Michael McGinn is featured in the June 19 Osprey Observer article, “Michael McGinn Is Committed To Excellence In Family Law Disputes.”