Reality TV, Wal-Mart top news coverage
May 17, 2013
The responsibilities of reality television and a question about whether Wal-Mart of the federal government pay lower wages led Stetson’s news coverage this week. Notable national and local placements include the NBC, CNBC, USA Today, Yahoo! Finance, Mashable.com, MSN.com, Brooklyn Daily Eagle, Daytona Beach News-Journal, Tampa Bay Business Journal, and Richmond Times Dispatch. Coverage for May 10-17, 2013, includes:
- Andy Dehnart, visiting assistant professor of journalism, appeared on the “Katie” show on NBC, on May 16. He was commenting on the ethical responsibilities of reality television and the future of the genre. In addition, he contributed an article to katiecouric.com which links to the video of his TEDx Talk at Stetson.
- Law Professor Jason Bent spoke with the May 13 CNBC for the story, “Wal-Mart v. the Feds: Who’s the Low-Wage Job King?” The story ran in national outlets including USA Today, Yahoo!Finance and NBC Sports.
- Law Professor Mark Bauer spoke with Food Nation Radio about the Limited Poultry and Egg Farm Operation Rule and the impact on small farms. The story ran May 11 and 12.
- When John Bledsoe threw out the first pitch at a Stetson baseball game last week, the video went viral showing up on TV stations and other media outlets throughout the country including: MSN.com, Mashable.com, WESH, WFLX, KGNS, KNSD, WISN, WDIV, Florida Higher Education Spectator,
- Wendy Libby was featured in a May 11 article in the Brooklyn Daily Eagle.
Other Stories in the News
- Stetson’s commencement ceremony was featured in a May 11 article in the Daytona Beach News-Journal. Additional coverage: Florida Higher Education Spectator.
- Stetson was mentioned in an article in Emerald Coast Magazine in reference to a book by the late John E. Johns who was a professor at Stetson.
- A May 9 article in the Daytona Beach News-Journal mentioned Stetson in relation to changes being made to Earl Brown Park and Spec Martin Stadium.
- Stetson was mentioned in a May 10, Hometown News article about a high school student who is putting together a benefit concert for an arts program. The student, Ashley King, plans to attend Stetson.
- Law Professor Ciara Torres-Spelliscy’s opinion article on the SEC has run in the May 12 Tampa Bay Times.
- Law Professor Peter Lake is quoted in the May 15 Richmond Times-Dispatch article, “Steger stepping down after 14 years as Tech’s president.”
- The Daytona Beach News-Journal published an article May 10 on Maura Martin, a 2013 graduate of Stetson, for her artwork.
- Stetson was mentioned in a blog post featuring an audio interview with John Jett, adjunct professor of environmental science. The audio is from an interview with WMFE radio.
- Stetson was mentioned in a May 14 article in Arizona Jewish Post about a luxury dorm being built on UCF’s campus. Funding for the dorm came in part from a philanthropist whose son attended Stetson before his death. Additional coverage: Jewish Week Online, Jewish Telegraphic Agency.
- Stetson was mentioned in a May 16 Daytona Beach News-Journal article about the 69th DeLand Kiwanis Junior Olympics. According to a Kiwanis member the Junior Olympics was started by a Stetson student who needed a class project.
- The May 16 Tampa Bay Times carried news of the death of Law student Kimberly Clark.
- The May 16 JD Journal points to the 3+3 USF/Stetson program as a cost-saving strategy for students.
- The May 10 Tampa Bay Business Journal featured a story about Stetson’s February bar passage results.
- The May 9 Gabber featured a story about Stetson’s bicycle rally with Gulfport Mayor Sam Henderson.
- The May 13 JITNews tweeted news of Stetson’s LL.M. degrees. The May 10 TMCNet also shared the news, which ran over the wire in a previous story.
Alumni in the News
- Terry Rooney is now a pitching coach and recruiter for Notre Dame according to their website.
- James Whitmire is returning to Memphis to teach at Mid-America Seminary according to Florida Baptist Witness.