Welcome back, Hatters, to the Week Ahead!
March 11, 2013
Monday night, March 11, is the first of two post-Newtown forums that Stetson is hosting, both open to the public, 6-8:30 p.m., in the Stetson Room, CUB. Tonight’s forum will focus on Safety at Schools and Campuses. Panelists will include:
Candace Lankford, Vice Chairman, Volusia County School Board; Robert Matusick, Director of Public Safety, Stetson University; James Ramsay, Ph.D., Chair of the Homeland Security Department, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University; Bob Lambert, Lieutenant, Volusia County Sheriff’s Office.
The second forum, Wednesday, March 20, will focus on Mental Health and Violence in Schools, Campuses and the Community. Panelists will include:
Amy Hall, Ph.D., Volusia County District Counseling Specialist, Student Support Services; Ivan Fleishman, Ph.D., Licensed Psychologist in DeLand, Fla.; Nancy Jacobsen, LMFT, Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist in DeLand, Fla.; Meghan Walter, Ph.D., Coordinator, School Counseling Program at Stetson University.
Although both forums are free and open to the public, space is limited and attendees must register prior to the events. To register go to https://secure.stetson.edu/forms/artsci/political-science/rsvp/index.php.
Senator Bob Graham, former Florida Governor, will be the keynote speaker Friday, March 15, 7 p.m., Stetson Room, CUB, at Stetson’s 42nd Annual Floyd M. Riddick Model United States Senate. The public is invited to attend.
Brain Discovery Week is this week at Stetson! This week’s events include:
- Monday, March 11 – 7 p.m. Dr. Michael King will take students on a tour of the brain.
- Tuesday, March 12 – 7 p.m. Guest speaker from Mayo Clinic on brain disorders
- Thursday, March 14 – 7 p.m. “A Beautiful Mind” followed by discussion on Schizophrenia
- Saturday, March 16 – Science Saturday at Gillespie Museum – on brain awareness
Music and the Arts:
- Tuesday, March 12 – 7:30-9 p.m. Broadway Revue – featuring Stetson music students
- Wednesday, March 13, 7 p.m. Public lecture by Dr. Susanne Eules, curator of Hand Art Center, on current Bluemner art exhibition. 25L, duPont Ball Library.
- Friday, March 15, 7:30 p.m. Concert to honor memory of former Music Dean Paul Langston
- Sunday, March 17, 3 p.m. Early Music Faculty Recital
Other campus events:
- Tuesday, March 12 – 6-7:30 p.m. – From Band-Aids to Pipelines: Black Perspective on the Education System
- Tuesday, March 12 – 7-8 p.m. – Show You Care, Be Aware (about breast cancer)
- Thursday, March 14 – 4:30-6 p.m., Book Feast: How the Garcia girls lost their accent
- Thursday, March 14 – 7 p.m., Movie – “Teens in Trouble”: A short film on homeless adolescents
- Thursday, March 14, 6-8 p.m. Color Me Mine family-fun social
- Thursday, March 14, 9 p.m. – Poetry at an Uncouth Hour
- Thursday, March 14, 6-9 p.m., Screening of “I am Cuba”
- Friday, March 15 – 2:30-7:30 p.m. – TEDx Power of Ideas Presentations
- Friday, March 15, 2:30 – 4 p.m. – Decision-Making and Values Program Presentation
- Saturday, March 16 – Admissions Open House for high school seniors – 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
Check out what’s happening this week in Sports at GOHATTERS.COM!