Week Ahead in Hatter Country, March 15-22
March 15, 2013
Post Newtown Public Forum: This is a reminder that Stetson University will host the second of two community forums on Wednesday, March 20, 6-8:30 p.m. in the Stetson Room. At the forums panelists will discuss issues that have arisen in the aftermath of the recent school shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Conn. Topics including mental health services, safe schools and communities, and violence in public places will be discussed. Cultural credit will be given to Stetson students. Please watch Stetson Today for more information on this free, public community forum.
Senator Bob Graham’s public address on civic engagement, Friday, March 15 7 p.m., in the Stetson Room. All faculty, students, staff and the public are invited. Graham is the keynote speaker at Stetson’s 42nd U.S. Model Senate, Friday and Saturday, March 15-16.
TEDxStetsonU- Friday, March 15, 2:30-7:30 p.m., Allen Hall Auditorium. The theme is Significance in Action: Inspired Learning. The selected presenters include: Stetson professors Andy Dehnart and Mario Rodriguez; students Luke Ford and Kai Eckenrode; and community members Ben Collins and Steven Carillo.
Annual Career Expo – Wednesday, March 20, 1 p.m., Rinker Field House
Music concerts this week:
- Friday, March 15, 7:30 p.m. Concert to honor memory of former Music Dean Paul Langston
- Sunday, March 17, 3 p.m. Early Music Faculty Recital featuring Ann Adams, baroque oboe; Boyd Jones, harpsichord; Christine Kyprianides, viola da gamba; Tammara Phillips, baroque flute; Lee Goodhew Romm, baroque bassoon; and Pro Deo et Veritate, Stetson’s Early Music Singers.
Stetson students bring you up to date on events in each week’s Hatter News Flash. This week’s episode includes an interview with blogger Philip Yang, whose Stetson life for the fresh(set) man blog on Tumblr offers a first-year student’s perspective on campus life.
Other campus events happening this week:
Friday, March 15:
Saturday, March 16:
- SU Admissions Open House 8:30 a.m., Office of Admission
- Science Saturday at Gillespie Museum – on brain awareness. Part of Brain Discovery Week
Sunday, March 17:
- Stetson Farmer’s Market-10 a.m., Stetson Green
- Chapel Service-5:30 p.m., Lee Chapel
- Francophone Movie Night – Woubi Cheri-6 p.m., Sampson 129
Monday, March 18:
- Cardio Yoga-12:15 P.M., Hollis Center Dance Studio
- Student Success Sessions-6 P.M., Library 25L
- NOW’s Women’s Week Movie-6 P.M., Elizabeth 319
Tuesday, March 19:
- GPS: Guide for Proactive Success-5:15 p.m., Sage 257
- Intersections of the Asian Identity-6 p.m., Stetson Room
- Habitat for Humanity Meeting-6:15 p.m., Hollis Center Classroom
- Erin Brockovich Cultural Credit Movie-7 p.m., Sage 257
- Catholic Campus Ministry Meeting-8 p.m., Allen 103
Wednesday, March 20:
- Speak Feast: An Ode to Women- 4:30 p.m., CUB – Faculty Lounge
- Burn-Out Series: Pull-Up & Hangs Competition- 6 p.m., Hollis Center Lounge
- Panel Session on Mental Health and Violence in Schools-6 p.m., Stetson Room
- History Department Colloquia- 6 p.m., Elizabeth 315
- Stetson Speakers Bureau Meeting- 7 p.m., LBC 220
- Tournees French Film Festival – The Artist -7:30 p.m., Athens Theatre
Thursday, March 21:
- On-Campus Interviews-8 a.m., TBD
- Roberson Executive Lecturer, Gary Starkweather-4 p.m., Rinker Auditorium, LBC
- Brown and Brown – Information Session- 5 p.m., TBD
- Prozac Nation Cultural Credit Movie-6 p.m., Sage 257
- Suicide /Self-Harm/Mental Health Awareness Movie – 6 p.m., Sage 257-
- Screening of Start Andrei Rublyov-6 p.m., Russian Studies Center
- “Why Angry Birds Don’t Make for Angry Children: How Psychological Science Got Video Game Effects Wrong” – 7:30 p.m., Stetson Room
- Poetry at an Uncouth Hour-9 p.m., Nite Lights
Friday, March 22:
- Mid-Term Withdrawal Date and Last Day to Drop Course
- 2013 Greek Summit
- The Emotional Brain: Remembering with Feeling-12 p.m., Library 25L
- Daytona Beach Cleanup-2 p.m., Meet at Sage Hall parking lot
- Greek Week: Freedom BBQ-5 p.m.
- American Composers Recital-7:30 p.m., Lee Chapel
- Carnival 2013-8 p.m., Rinker Fieldhouse
For the Sports schedule, go to GOHATTERS.COM!
For news and events on the go, get the free StetsonU app on your smartphone!