Education seniors complete internships

December 11, 2013

Internship photoStetson University’s Education Department prepares aspiring teachers by providing teaching internships in classrooms across Central Florida. While seniors are completing their internships, they are preparing for the future in their chosen fields. (Alex Sanchez ’12, pictured, education graduate, currently teaches full-time at Woodward Elementary School in DeLand.)

Throughout this fall semester, educator seniors have been working in elementary, middle and high schools across Volusia, Seminole and Orange counties. For 15 weeks they have trained and taught at these schools while taking courses connected to their own coursework in the classrooms.

“I’ve worked in various settings, age groups and ability levels,” senior education intern Jessica Reiss said. “Without these experiences I never would have had the opportunity to find my true passion.”

“We have a very successful teacher education program – one of the most successful in the state,” education professor Carol Corcoran said. “We value our long-standing educational partnerships with Volusia County Schools, which allows for high quality field experiences in exemplary classrooms.”

The following public schools have welcomed Stetson students into their classrooms: Bentley Elementary, Citrus Grove Elementary, Colonial High School, Millennium Middle School, Blue Lake Elementary, Woodward Elementary and DeLand High School. The student interns help developed lesson plans, taught classes and worked with teachers in developing teaching skills.

After earning a degree and completing the internship, music education graduates receive a certification to teach in Florida and are approved by the State Department of Education and the National Association of Colleges of Teacher Education.

“During my time in DeLand schools I have learned that it takes passion and love to continue teaching,” Sarah Peterman said.

After graduating, each senior plans on taking advantage of their internship experiences as they head into the education work field.

“I believe that the Stetson Education Department has prepared me to be a great teacher,” Peterman stated. “I have accepted a job at Deltona Middle School as a sixth grade reading teacher.”

“After graduation I will be working with City Year Orlando, helping to prevent the drop-out rate in area schools,” Reiss said. “Following my year of service, I plan on attending graduate school for a master’s degree in special education.”

The following is a list of seniors completing their student education internships, along with the name of the area schools in which they interned.

By Maurie Murray

RSS Feed » More

Events

Login using your campus username and password to see Stetson Today in "on campus" mode.