If you or someone you know may be the victim of any form of gender-based or sexual misconduct, you are strongly encouraged to seek immediate assistance. Your first priority should be to get to a place of safety. You should then obtain necessary medical treatment as soon as possible in order to prevent or treat sexually transmitted diseases and screen for the presence of any date rape drugs. Undergoing a medical examination is also critical to preserving evidence and is a time-sensitive process. Exams can typically be conducted up to five days from the date of the incident, but you are encouraged to seek assistance as soon as possible to prevent the loss of evidence.
If you are in immediate crisis, call 911.
Local Law Enforcement
Complainants are encouraged, but not required, to make a formal report to law enforcement. Making a formal report to law enforcement will not impact the university’s responsibility to investigate complaints.
DeLand Police Department
Victim Advocate: 386-626-7418
Gulfport Police Department
St. Petersburg Police Department
Tampa Police Department
Stetson University Resources
- Stetson University Student Counseling Services | 386-822-8900 | Website
- Religious and Spiritual Life 386-822-7523 | Website
- Stetson University Health Services | 386-822-8150 | Website
At the College of Law, individuals should consult the following:
- Sarah Siegrist, Counseling Services | 727-562-7575 | or email
- The Employee Assistance Program at 800-272-7252 or online
(username: STET, password: STET)
When a victim of an act of sexual misconduct or sexual violence contacts the departments of Public Safety, the appropriate law enforcement agency may also be notified. If the incident reported can be classified as a felony offense, law enforcement will automatically be notified regardless of whether a complainant wishes to pursue prosecution. A representative from the university will also be notified and respond to provide resources and support for the student. The filing of a complaint under this policy is independent of any criminal investigation or proceeding, and (except that the university’s investigation may be delayed temporarily while the criminal investigators are gathering evidence) the university will not wait for the conclusion of any criminal investigation or proceedings to commence its own investigation and take interim measures to protect the complainant and the university community.
Stetson University Public Safety
405 N. Amelia Ave, DeLand, FL 32723
Public Safety at the College of Law
1219 61st. St. S., Gulfport, FL 33707
Medical and Behavior Health Options
- Florida Hospital, DeLand: 386-943-4650
- Florida Hospital, DeLand – Behavioral Health Crisis Help Line: 1-800-539-4228
- St. Anthony’s Hospital, St. Petersburg: 727-825-1100
General Resources, Referrals, and Support
- Domestic Abuse Hotline: 1-800-500-1119 or 386-255-2102
- National Sexual Assault Hotline: 1-800-656-4673
- National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-7233
- National Dating Abuse Hotline: 1-866-331-9474
- The Federal Government’s Sexual Violence Resource Website
- Betty Griffin House - 24-hour Crisis hotline: 904-824-1555
- Family Life Center - 24-hour Crisis hotline: 386)-437-3505
- Crisis Center of Tampa Bay | One Crisis Center Plaza | Tampa, Florida 33613
- Florida Council Against Sexual Violence
- Rape Crisis Hotline: 1-888-956-RAPE (7273) | 813-964-1964
- Trauma Counseling Services: 813-264-9955
Injunctions for Protection
You may file for an Injunction for Protection (commonly referred to as a restraining order) with the Volusia County Clerk of Courts office. The Clerk’s Office will assist a victim with filing a Petition for Injunction Monday – Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. After normal business hours, assistance is available by calling the Domestic Abuse Hotline at 1-800-500-1119 or 386-255-2102, Daytona Beach, FL.
Volusia County Courthouse
101 North Alabama Avenue, DeLand, FL. 32724
You may file for an Injunction for Protection with the Pinellas County Clerk of Courts office at one of the locations listed below, Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. through 5 p.m., excluding county holidays. For more information call (727) 464-7000 or visit their website.
- Civil Court Records
315 Court Street, Room 170
Clearwater, FL 33756
- Criminal Justice Center
14250 49th Street North
Clearwater, FL 33762
- St. Petersburg Branch Office
545 First Avenue North, Room 101
St. Petersburg, FL 33701
You may file for an Injunction for Protection in Hillsborough County at the locations listed below. For more information, visit their website.
- George E. Edgecomb Courthouse
Family Law Department
800 E. Twiggs St.
813-276-8100 x 4356
8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday
7:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m. Saturday through Sunday and holidays
- Plant City Courthouse Anne
302 N. Michigan Avenue
Plant City, FL
813-276-8100 x 4524
8:00 a.m. through 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday
- Spring of Tampa Bay (Domestic Violence Shelter)
Education and Prevention
For more information on how you can prevent and report sexual assault,
visit the Sexual Assault Prevention web page.