Bonner Summer Leadership Program
- Ages: Students entering 10th through 12th grades
- Dates: July 13 to July 25
- Time: 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Cost: $3,500 ($3,000 for dependents of Stetson University faculty and staff)
- Location: DeLand Campus
- College credits earned: 4
- Contact: Office of Community Engagement at 386-822-8705
The Bonner Foundation is a nationally renowned organization that fosters community service on college campuses. Stetson University is privileged to have a partnership with this extraordinary organization. The Center for Community Engagement at Stetson University focuses on learning through community service -- we call it "community engaged learning." Students who participate in the Bonner Summer Leadership Program will learn and serve with college students from one of the best "domestic peace corps" programs in the country. They'll live on one of the most beautiful campuses in the region, earn four college credits, meet like-minded students and build a service portfolio for high school graduation requirements or college applications.
The Bonner Summer Leadership Program is designed for advanced high school students (typically rising juniors and seniors). However, exceptional rising sophomores will be considered and are encouraged to apply.
The program cost includes:
- Tuition for a four-credit (one course unit) course
- Room and board
- A mentored service experience
- Recreational activities
- All transportation to and from service and recreational activities
- A workshop with admissions staff highlighting community service during the college admissions process
At this time, there is no financial aid available for this program.
More information about the Bonner Summer Leadership Program can be found at the program's website.
To register, visit the program's website or call the Office of Community Engagement at 386-822-8705.
French Immersion Summer Program
- Ages: College students and high school students entering 10th through 12th grades
- Dates: June 9 through July 24 (There is a holiday break July 3 through July 6. Classes will resume on July 7.)
- Time: 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Cost: $4,482 for Stetson University and high-school students (Stetson University students only: add $437.50 for housing); scholarships are available for high-school students
- Location: DeLand Campus
- College credits earned: 12 for French 101, 102 and 201
- Contact: Richard Ferland at 386-822-7261
This summer camp is designed to allow students an opportunity to improve their French language skills and knowledge of linguistics, literature, culture and area studies. The curriculum is taught by a tenured Stetson University faculty member and supported by classroom experiences and materials that continually reinforce learning.
Students may choose to live on campus in a dorm and expand on their language skills during off hours, or they may return home each evening. During the day the small class size, coupled with the instructor, and the assistant, a native speaker of France, will provide an intensive immersion environment that expands through lessons and meals.
Richard Ferland, Ph.D. and A.M., Harvard University; B.A. Assumption College in French; M.B.A., Stetson University, is a native speaker of French born in New England. His main interest is the history of ideas in 18th century France with an emphasis on the conflict between Enlightenment writers and the established church. His other academic interests include the Marquis de Sade, French Comic Theater and French feminist writers. He has taught intensive French immersion classes for many years and is a firm believer in the experiential aspect of language learning. At home, he loves to cook, putter around in his yard and read spy novels and thrillers whenever he has the time. In addition to teaching at various universities in the U.S., he has taught in Paris and Freiburg, Germany.
To register, call the Richard Ferland at 386-822-7261 or visit stetson.edu/summer.