Process and Resources
The planning process undertaken in 2013-2014 focused the Stetson University community on strategic effectiveness. The goal was to formulate a "good enough" five-year strategic plan and move immediately to implementation. The process, like a GPS, gives us the flexibility to make dynamic adjustments as needed as we focus on results and our overarching goals while staying on the critical path.
We began with a series of four open discussions in October 2013, at which the Stetson University community was invited to examine major trends in higher education and assess the opportunities that lie before us. These discussions coincided with focus groups, facilitated by TSI Consulting Partners, Inc., with invited representation from students, faculty, staff, administration and trustees. A short, anonymous, open-ended survey asked the university community for their thoughts on the university's strengths, critical issues we face, and key priorities we should establish.
Faculty, staff, students, trustees, alumni and friends gathered in DeLand, Gulfport and Celebration as part of these planning efforts. Representatives met as a Vision Team in November 2013 and a Mapping Team in March 2014, again assisted by our outside consultant, to produce guiding documents that were then vetted with the Stetson community and refined by feedback.
In May 2014, this inclusive process culminated in the approval of the 2014-2019 Strategic Map by the Stetson University Board of Trustees, with implementation beginning in fall 2014.
Strategic Planning Resources
- Newsletter: Future Trends in Technology and Education, September 2013
- Article: "More US Colleges Face Stagnating Enrollment and Tuition Revenue, According to Moody's Survey" - Moody's, Jan. 10, 2013
- Article: "By the Numbers: Eye on the Industry" - NACUBO's Business Officer Magazine, July/August 2013
- Slide Presentation: "20 Jobs of the Future" - Sparks and Honey
- Article Link: "The 10 Stealth Economic Trends That Rule the World Today" - The Atlantic, Sept. 30, 2013
- Article Link: ECAR Study of Undergraduate Students and Information Technology, 2013
Additional Resources and Strategic Plans
- Strategic Enrollment Plan, 2011-2014
- KPI and Planning Guide
- School of Business Administration Environmental Scan Summary, February 2013
Campus Life and Student Success
- Letter to the Campus Community: Overview of the Divisional Strategic Plan
- Development of 2013-2015 Divisional Strategic Map
- Campus Life and Student Success Strategic Map: 2013-2015