Program Closure/New Program Policy
The Program Closure/New Program Policy workgroup was charged with drafting criteria or guiding principles that will be applied by academic leaders in evaluating whether a program should be discontinued. By what process will we consider and implement the discontinuation of academic programs? Likewise, what criteria or guiding principles should be applied in evaluating proposals for new programs, and by what process will this be conducted?
Such policies typically include guiding criteria that include centrality to the university mission, effectiveness and efficiency; student demand; an evaluation of resources impacted by program initiation or closure; and the articulation of a process for analysis, deliberation and decision. The priority whenever possible is to maintain tenure-track and tenured faculty as our central resource in most areas.
A draft policy will be completed by the end of the Fall semester that will then move through the appropriate policy approval steps.
- Criteria for Opening or Closing Academic Programs - Final Draft with Key Indicators (2/8/11)
- Opening Process Document Final Draft (2/8/11)
- Program Closure Procedure Final Draft (2/8/11)
- Summary & Recommendations from Working Group on Program Opening and Closure, 4/1/10
- Proposed Recommendation for Tenure Related Issues, 4/5/10
- Financial Exigency Draft of Recommendation, 4/1/10
- Criteria for Opening or Closing Academic Programs, Final Draft with Key Indicators, 4/1/10
- Opening Process Document Final Draft, 4/1/10
- Program Closure Procedure Final Draft, 4/1/10
- Program Closure Procedure Working Draft 3/16/10
- Draft Criteria
- Interim Report
- Greg McCann, Chair
- Jane Bradford
- Jane Christeson
- Phillip Lucas
- Emily Mieras
- Rebecca Morgan
- Becky Watts