Hatter Alert: Emergency Guidelines System
If you are in danger or feel threatened, call 911 or Public Safety at 386-822-7300.
If you receive or discover a suspicious package or device, do not touch it, tamper with it or move it. Do not use a cell phone within 300 feet of the suspicious package. Immediately call Public Safety at 386-822-7300.
What constitutes a suspicious letter or parcel?
Some typical characteristics which ought to trigger suspicion include letters or parcels that:
- Have any powdery substance on the outside.
- Are unexpected or from someone unfamiliar to you.
- Have excessive postage, handwritten or poorly typed address, incorrect titles or titles with no name, or misspellings of common words.
- Are addressed to someone no longer with the university or are otherwise outdated.
- Have no return address or have one that can't be verified as legitimate.
- Are of unusual weight, given their size or are lopsided or oddly shaped.
- Have an unusual amount of tape.
- Are marked with restrictive endorsements, such as "personal" or "confidential."
- Have strange odors or stains.
What to do if you receive a suspicious package or parcel:
- Handle with care. Do not shake or bump.
- Isolate it immediately.
- Don't open, smell, touch or taste.
- Treat it as suspect. Call Public Safety at 386-822-7300.