Fire/Fire Extinguisher Use
If you are in danger or feel threatened, call 911 or contact Campus Public Safety
If you discover smoke or fire in the building:
- Call 911 from any campus or cellular phone.
- Manually activate the building's fire alarm system.
- Locate persons with special needs and provide assistance if possible. Otherwise, provide their location to emergency responders.
- Walk quickly to the nearest exit. Do not use the elevators.
- Notify fire personnel or Campus Public Safety if you believe someone may still be in the building.
- Report to your designated gathering point to be accounted for.
- Do not re-enter the building until the fire department has cleared the scene.
If caught in smoke:
- Do not breathe the smoke.
- Drop to your knees and crawl to the closest safe exit.
- Breathe through your nose, and use a shirt or towel to breathe through, if possible.
If trapped in a building:
- Close all doors and windows.
- Wet and place cloth material around and under the door to prevent smoke from entering.
- Attempt to signal people outside of the building. Call for help using a telephone or cell phone.
How to Use a Fire Extinguisher
- Report the fire first (call 911 from any campus or cellular phone).
- Use a fire extinguisher only if you have been trained to do so. Improper use of an extinguisher can increase the hazard.
- If you have any doubt of your ability to fight the fire, exit the area immediately.
- If you decide to use a fire extinguisher, place yourself between the fire and your exit from the area.
- To use the fire extinguisher, follow the PASS method, as follows:
- Pull the pin. This will break the tamper seal if one is provided.
- Aim low, pointing the extinguisher nozzle (or the horn or hose) at the base of the fire.
- Squeeze the handle to release the extinguishing agent.
- Sweep from side to side at the base of the fire until the fire is out.
- Watch the area. If the fire reignites, repeat the preceding steps.