Hatter Alert: Emergency Guidelines System
If you are in danger or feel threatened, call 911 or Public Safety at 386-822-7300.
In the event of a power outage, many campus facilities are equipped with emergency generators to power critical operations. Most buildings are provided with emergency lighting to aid in the safe evacuation of the building. To report a localized power outage, contact Public Safety at 386-822-7300.
- Keep a flashlight with spare batteries immediately accessible.
- Know how to locate the closest exit.
In the event of a large-scale power outage
- Remain calm.
- Follow directions provided by Public Safety through the established campus communications systems. Check the university website or listen to AM 580.
- If building evacuation becomes necessary, seek out persons with special needs and provide assistance if possible. If additional assistance is necessary, contact Public Safety at 386-822-7300.
- Secure all vital equipment, records, experiments and hazardous materials if safe to do so. Store all chemicals in their original or marked containers and fully open all fume hoods. If this is not possible, or natural ventilation is not adequate, evacuate the area until power is restored.
- Do not light candles or other types of flames for lighting. No open flames are permitted.
- Unplug electrical equipment, including computers, and turn off light switches.
If people are trapped in an elevator:
- If you are able to communicate with them, let the passengers know that help has been summoned.
- Call Public Safety at 386-822-7300.
- Provide specific location information and the number of individuals involved to the dispatcher.
- Stay near the passengers if it is safe to do so until emergency responders are on site and the elevator is identified.