Hatter Alert: Emergency Guidelines System
If you are in danger or feel threatened, call 911 or Public Safety at 386-822-7300.
For the protection and safety of staff, faculty, students and visitors, a crisis on campus may require the university to implement emergency lockdown of a building or the entire campus. This action would be necessary in situations where evacuation would not be appropriate. For example, an armed intruder on campus would require that building occupants lock themselves in rather than being exposed to danger. Time is critical in such a crisis and the lockdown must be initiated as quickly as possible. The emergency management team will order the lockdown if deemed necessary. Notification of a lockdown may be made via phone message, text message, email and word of mouth by Stetson University Public Safety.
When an announcement is made to initiate an emergency lockdown, the following steps should be followed:
- All persons should proceed to an area that can be secured.
- All doors into the area should be locked.
- Move to the point in the room that is most distant from a door entering the room from the outside or from a corridor/hallway.
- Close blinds and drapes for concealment.
- Turn off lights.
- Remain under lockdown until advised by Public Safety, law enforcement personnel or the emergency management team that the crisis has been resolved.