Dean of the duPont-Ball Library and Digital Learning Resources
Susan Ryan leads and administers a staff of eight librarians and 15 support staff. She is responsible for library strategic planning, budgets, development, and marketing. Ryan collaborates with other units on campus on issues of emerging and learning technologies. She is the curator of several high-profile Special Collections.
Ryan has published numerous articles on library-related issues, and has authored a book on government information policy. Ryan is the only librarian to win the annual Stetson University Hand Award for Research. She also won the premier annual national government information research award, the Catharine J. Reynolds Award for Excellence in the Field of Government Information.
Ryan has served as a referee for three journals, has been a consulting editor and a series editor for a commercial publisher, and a column editor for the Journal of Government Information. Ryan has held a number of regional and state library leadership positions.
- M.L.S., University of California, Los Angeles, 1989
- M.S., international relations, Florida State University, 1982
- B.S., government, Florida State University, 1981
- Ryan has published numerous articles on government information policy, including three in the top government information journal, Journal of Government Information (now merged into Government Information Quarterly).
- Ryan won the journal's Bernard Fry Award for Best Article of the Year in 1997; previous Fry Award winners include Brian Kahin, a professor in Harvard's John F. Kennedy School of Government and Lewis Branscomb, noted Harvard scientist and presidential advisor.
- Her book, Downloading Democracy: Government Information in an Electronic Age, was featured in W.S Hein's recommended purchase list distributed to law libraries and others in the legal profession.
- " 'An Idea Likely Too Big': John B. Stetson University's Pursuit of an Academic Carnegie Library in the Early Twentieth Century," Library and Information History, in press.
- "Reference Transaction Analysis: The Cost-Effectiveness of Staffing a Traditional Reference Desk," The Journal of Academic Librarianship 34, no. 5 (September 2008): 389-399.
- "No Rubbish: A 125th Anniversary History of the Stetson University Libraries," 2009
- "Downloading Democracy: Government Information in an Electronic Age," Cresskill, NJ: Hampton Press, 1995. Reviewed in: Journal of Government Information 24, no. 1 (January/February 1997):77-79.