Roland and Sarah George Professor of Finance
Dr. Stuart E. Michelson has been at Stetson University as the Roland and Sarah George Professor of Finance since 2001. He was recently Dean of the School of Business Administration for three years and Director of the Executive MBA Program for four years.
He is editor of the refereed academic journal Financial Services Review. He is a member of the editorial board of several scholarly journals, a board member of Financial Executives International and a member of the National Association of Corporate Directors. He is a past president of the Academy of Financial Services, Financial Executives International (Central Florida) and the Academy of Business Education.
Dr. Michelson has published over 50 refereed academic journal research articles. He received the School of Business Administration Professor of the Year award in 2009, Researcher of the Year for several years (2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, and 2007), and Outstanding Service Award in 2008. He received the Stetson University Hand Award for Outstanding Research in 2008.
- Ph.D., finance, University of Kansas
- MBA, University of Missouri
- B.S., mechanical engineering, University of Missouri
- Behavioral finance
- Tax efficiency in retirement accounts
- Use of alpha to increase portfolio returns
- Use of technology in education
- Mutual funds
- Portfolio risk budgeting
- Academic honesty
- Business Finance
- Intermediate Corporate Finance
- Advanced Corporate Finance
- “The Influence of Gender and Race on the Social Security Early Retirement Decision for Single Individuals,” S. Michelson, Docking and Fortin, Journal of Economics and Economic Education Research, forthcoming 2012.
- “Persistence in Mutual Fund Performance,” S. Michelson and Fortin, Academy of Accounting and Financial Studies Journal.14(4), 2010.
- "Green Investing versus Socially Responsible Investing,” S. Michelson and J. Mallett. International Journal of Business, 15(4), 2010.
- "Quantifying Risk When Using Discounted Cash Flow to Value Business," S. Michelson and W. Weaver, at Valuation Strategies, Vol. 13(5), June 2010, pp 4-10.
- "Cheating Among Business Students: Determining the Influence of Religion, Perceptions of Cheating, and the Campus Environment,” S. Michelson, Sendall, Schwartz, and Stowe. Journal of the Academy of Business Education, Fall 2009.