W. Tandy Grubbs
Professor and Chair of Chemistry
Tandy Grubbs, born and raised a North Carolinian, has been at Stetson University since 1995 and currently serves as Chair of the Chemistry Department. He is interested in lasers, 3D printing, and brewing beer (but not all at the same time). In addition to a number of chemical interests, he enjoys designing computer games in support of science education.
- Ph.D., physical chemistry, Duke University
- B.S., chemistry, High Point University
- Physical Chemistry
- Advanced Physical Chemistry
- General Chemistry
- Alternative Energy Choices
- Brewing Science and Technology
- 3D Printing technology
- Physical chemistry
- Polymer chemistry
- Alternative energy
- Computer gaming in support of STEM education
- Innovative uses of technology in support of STEM education
- The use of laser interferometry and other forms of optical spectroscopy to characterize materials
- Susan M. Ryan and W. Tandy Grubbs. “Curricular collaborations: Using emerging technologies to foster innovative partnerships.” In Doherty, Brian (Ed.), Handbook of Research on Academic Library Partnerships and Collaborations. IGI Global, (in press, 2016).
- W. Tandy Grubbs. “Reaping Benefits of Clean Power will Require Sacrifice.” As part of editorial Green Energy: Near-term Answer? Orlando Sentinel, Nov., 2014.
- Luciano E. H. Violante, Daniel A. Nunez, Susan M. Ryan, and W. Tandy Grubbs; "3D Printing in the Chemistry Curriculum: Inspiring Millennial Students to be Creative Innovators" in Addressing the Millennial Student: New Pedagogy and Approaches to Improve Student Learning Outcomes in Undergraduate Chemistry, Potts, G., Dockery, C., Eds.; ACS Symposium Series, Volume 1180; American Chemical Society: Washington, DC, 2014.
- Susan M. Ryan and W. Tandy Grubbs, “Collaboration in Support of 3D Printing as an Emerging Technology in Academic Libraries,” Florida Libraries 57(2), Fall 2014, 11-16.
- Jennifer N. Hennigan and W. Tandy Grubbs, "The Periodic Pyramid," Journal of Chemical Education, 90(8), 1003 (2013).
- Travis Cossairt and W. Tandy Grubbs, "Chemical Mahjong," Journal of Chemical Education, 88(6), 841 (2011).
- *Megan E. Lewis, *Rebecca M. Levine, John T. York, W. Tandy Grubbs, "A Quick and Accurate Oxygen Based Pressure Sensor Assay for Measurement of Catalase Activity," Journal of Chemical Education, 86, 764 (2009).
- W. Tandy Grubbs, "The JCE Data-Driven Exercises Digital Collection," Journal of Chemical Education, 86, 763 (2009).
- W. Tandy Grubbs, "Osmotic Pressure and Polymer Molecular Weight Determination," Journal of Chemical Education, 86, 764 (2009).
- *Sarah E. Caudill and W. Tandy Grubbs, "Interferometric Measurements of Refractive Index Dispersion in Polymers over the Visible and Near-Infrared Spectral Range," Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 100, 65 (2006).
- William R. Furlong and W. Tandy Grubbs, "Safe Preparation of HCl/DCl for IR Spectroscopy," Journal of Chemical Education, 82, 124 (2005).
- Erich Friedman and W. Tandy Grubbs, "The Boltzmann Distribution and Pascal's Triangle," The Chemical Educator, 8, 116 (2003).