Thomas J. Farrell
J. Ollie Edmunds Chair
Interim Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, Professor of English
- Ph.D., University of Michigan, 1983
- A.M., University of Michigan, 1978
- A.B., University of Michigan, 1976
- Author: Chaucer
- Genre: Epic and Novel
- Old English Medieval Literature
- Dante's Commedia (Junior Seminar)
- Reading Narrative
- Detective Fiction
- History of the English Language
- Co-Leader in the Canterbury Tales Project—work on the Reeve's Tale.
- Editorial Theory
- Medieval literature
- Bibliographic theory
- Narrative theory
- "The Meanings of Middle English Wight," The Chaucer Review 50 (2015): 178-197.
- "His Lady Grace and the Performance of the Squire," in Aesthetics in Old and Middle English Poetry: Essays in Honor of Howell D. Chickering, Jr. (Toronto: Pontifical Institute of Medieval Studies, 2014), pp. 142-64.
- "Editors and Scribes in Two Clerk's Tale Cruxes," The Chaucer Review 47 (2013): 300-22.
- "The Problem of Piers Plowman," Medieval Perspectives 26 (2011): 35-45.
- "The Diegetic Achievement of Patrick O'Brian," Papers on Language and Literature 45 (2009): 150-79.
- "Hybrid Discourse in the General Prologue Portraits," Studies in the Age of Chaucer 30 (2008): 39-93.
- "The Persistence of Donaldson's Memory," Chaucer Review 41 (2007): 286-95.
- The Clerk's Tale Chapter in Sources and Analogues of the Canterbury Tales (Woodbridge, Suffolk: D. S. Brewer, 2002) Vol. I: 101-129 (with Amy W. Goodwin).
- Editor, Medieval Voices: Essays on Bakhtin and Medieval Literature (Gainesville: UP of Florida, 1996).
- "Deconstructing Moriarty: False Armageddon at the Reichenbach," in The Cunning Craft: Original Essays on Detective Fiction and Contemporary Theory, Ronald G. Walker and June M. Frazer, eds. (Macomb, IL: Essays in Literature Series, 1990), 55-67.
- "Privacy and the Boundaries of Fabliau in the Miller's Tale," ELH 56 (1989): 773-95.
- "The Style of the Clerk's Tale and the Functions of its Glosses," Studies in Philology 86 (1989): 286-309.
- "Live At Kalamazoo: The York Fall of Angels, Fall of Man, Abraham and Isaac; The Brome MS Abraham and Isaac," The Chaucer Studio, 2011
- "Townley Plays: Live at Kalamazoo" (ICMS Readings 4: 2 CDs), The Chaucer Studio, 2005.
- "The Second Shepherds' Play: A Live Reading at Kalamazoo," The Chaucer Studio, 2003.
- English language
- Detective fiction
- Phone: 386-822-7731