Professor of English; Sullivan Chair in Creative Writing
Terri Witek is the author of four books of poems, including two Florida book award medal winners. She has worked on projects with Brazilian visual artist Cyriaco Lopes, from works on paper and video to site-specific installation. The first retrospective of their work was shown at Grinnell College's Faulconer Gallery in April 2010 and featured a collaborative multi-media event, "the day you left," currently on tour. In November 2010 a site-specific project in St. Augustine Fla., "A Shelter on King's Road," placed the trace of Martin Luther King Jr.'s firebombed cottage within the historic Markland House. Witek has been awarded fellowships to the MacDowell Colony, Sewanee Writers Conference and Hawthornden International Writers' Retreat, and has served on the poetry faculty of the West Chester Poetry Conference and the Prague Summer Literary Seminars. At Stetson University, she holds the Sullivan chair in creative writing and directs the Sullivan creative writing program. She serves on the summer faculty for the Disquiet Program in Lisbon.
- Ph.D./M.A., Vanderbilt University
- Poetry Workshops
- Contemporary Poetry and Poetics
- Elizabeth Bishop
- A poetic intermedia game, Uma Coisa Na' Outra, with visual artist Cyriaco Lopes.
- Exit Island (2012)
- The Shipwreck Dress (2008)
- Carnal World (2005)
- Fools and Crows (2003)
- Courting Couples (winner of the 2000 Center for Book Arts Prize)
- Robert Lowell and Life Studies: Revising the Self (1993)
- Poems in American Poetry Review, Slate, The New Republic, Poetry, The Hudson Review and Threepenny Review, among others
- O, Miami Poetry Festival brings eclectic flavor for verse enthusiasts. Miami Herald, Apr. 25, 2014. (video accompaniment)
- Phone: 386-822-7729